6M RC Controller, 50MHz, info request.

Hmmm. This is a good point. Will the receiver that is packaged with my transmitter (R148DF)work on the slow stick? It is an 8 channel FM receiver. Do I need a micro receiver for the slow stick? Also, is it a dumb idea for me to put the 8 channel receiver on my first plane? What are the chances of damaging the receiver when I burn it into the ground?

What is a good recommendation for an inexpensive micro receiver on 50 MHz to use on my slow stick?

Thanks, Carl

Reply to
Carl / KG6YKL

| Hmmm. This is a good point. Will the receiver that is packaged with | my transmitter (R148DF)work on the slow stick? It is an 8 channel FM | receiver. Do I need a micro receiver for the slow stick?

Yes, it will work, but it's not ideal. It weighs about 1.1 oz, where you could have a receiver that weighs 0.30 oz (like the FMA M5.)

The reason it'll work is that the Slow Stick can handle a little extra weight.

| Also, is it a dumb idea for me to put the 8 channel receiver on my | first plane? What are the chances of damaging the receiver when I | burn it into the ground?

Relatively small. The Slow Stick doesn't go that fast, so any crashes won't be that hard. Unless you do something dramatic like lose your wings in the air, turning your plane into a lawn dart.

Mounting the receiver with velcro will help too -- in a hard accident, it'll shift a bit or maybe come off, sparing it some of the impact.

| What is a good recommendation for an inexpensive micro receiver on 50 | MHz to use on my slow stick?

I'm extremely fond of the FMA M5s. They're available in the ham band, but for like $35 more, which sucks. The Berg 6dsp GIII is available on 50 mhz, but costs $80. I guess there just isn't an inexpensive micro receiver on 50 mhz ...

Go ahead and use the receiver that comes with your radio.

Reply to
Doug McLaren

It would be a bit large for a stock Slow Stick. I fly with one of those GWS

4 channel rx's on mine but I already have some 72mhz gear on channel 38. I have a tx module for my 9C for channel 01 and 38 and swap em out as needed. Also have a Hitec Flash 5X on 38 which is what I fly my Slow Stick with. I have more than a few 4 channel planes with 8 channel rx's in em. Hate to waste the extra channels but other than using flaperons (rarely) I think I have only used all the channels on one plane which was my Ultra Stick 60. You take a chance of damaging everything in a crash but its pretty hard to wreck anything other than the prop or the foam on a Slow Stick unless you are running brushless full throttle into the ground. Been there, done that! Probably the least expensive micro rx that is Futaba compatable would be one from Berg, least expensive being a relative term. Definitely cheaper than FMA. I think Berg is selling 5 channel rx's on 50 these days. Looking at both the FMA site and the Berg site (rc-direct) there is about a $12 difference between the two. The FMA 5 channel M5 and the FMA Quantum 8 cost the same price, $89.95. The only 50mhz Berg rx in stock is $79.95. FMA xtal is $13, the Berg is $10.

The standard sized 7, 8, and 9 channel Futaba rx's are always in stock at Tower Hobbies and cost the same as the 72mhz ones. I personally think that FMA adding $20 to the price because its on 50mhz is a rip.

Reply to
Fubar of The HillPeople

The ripoff is that the 8 channel Quantum 8 and the 5 channel M5 are the same price. Oh well.

Reply to
Fubar of The HillPeople