Any commercial R/C hot-air airships?

Does anyone know if there exist any commercially available hot-air airship "models"? And that, perchance, are radio controlled (R/C)? I've found "small" R/C helium airships, free-flight hot air balloons (small enough to be considered "model"), but no R/C hot air airships.

Just wanted to be sure I haven't overlooked anything before I try my hand at designing and building one.

Reply to
Jim Logajan

refer to Alan's Hobby, Model & RC Web Links

sub section = Airships & Blimps

Advanced Hybrid Aircraft Home Page - Airships, Hovercraft & Blimps Air Dynamic Airship Resources (airships, blimps) Balloon Pages on the World Wide Web DraganFly - News Minizepp! Sejohna - advertising & RC Small Blimp Parts Solar Balloons - make your own for glider launching

Alan's Hobby, Model & RC Web Links

A.T.

Out of interest, what is an "R/C hot air balloon"? Is that something you command to turn left and it drifts with the wind?

Reply to
Stubby

Joris

Thanks. I checked the links on your page and I found some vendors who sell potentially useful parts, so on that level your list is helpful. Unfortunately, all the R/C blimp vendors I could trace through your links use helium for buoyancy, not hot air.

Reply to
Jim Logajan

I don't know what the point of an "R/C hot air balloon" would be either, so I can't help you. I asked about any commercial "R/C hot air airship". Sorry to deflate your attempt at humor, but balloon is not synonymous with airship:

"An airship is a buoyant aircraft that can be steered and propelled through the air." From:

"Balloons are a type of lighter than air aircraft that remain aloft due to their buoyancy. Balloons travel by moving with the wind. They are distinct from airships which are buoyant aircraft which can be propelled through the air in a controlled manner. They are also distinct from aerostats which are balloons that are moored to the ground rather than free flying." From:
)

Reply to
Jim Logajan

Thanks for the link. Alas, lift is generated by helium, not hot air. Still, I'll book mark the link.

Reply to
Jim Logajan

Question has been raised before and no such precise sites were then located. Perhaps I should have advised further previously - i.e.

refer to "Solar Balloons - make your own for glider launching" =

"A solar balloon is an ultralight hot air balloon that only uses heat radiation from the sun to provide lift. Experimental technique nowadays, this innovative technique can be used for tethered or free flight, for recreational flying or other uses. The envelope is built from a black polyethylene plastic film 13-15 or 20 microns absorbs incident solar energy."

Hot Air and attach lightweight GWS ducted fan or similar rc systems as referenced on the other sites at Alan's Hobby, Model & RC Web Links

as suggested .

Then create a web site to publish your results for all to read.

regards Alan

Reply to
A.T.

See marked section in your post. You said "free-flight hot air balloons" Sorry to point that out.

Sorry

Reply to
Stubby