SIG Four Star 120 any comments ?

I have an O.S.120 that I'd like to put in an easy flyer for a bit of more relaxed flying , the Four Star 120 looks like it might fit the bill .but it looks like a fairly large plane at over 1200 sq. inches and up to 12 lbs.I'd like to have a relaxed flyer but not so underpowered it can't make any headway ,.any thoughts on taking off some or all of each outer wing bay or is that going to lose more than I might gain [ hey it's old design compromise ] ..any comments J J

Reply to
Jim & Elizabeth

I have an O.S.120 that I'd like to put in an easy flyer for a bit of more relaxed flying , the Four Star 120 looks like it might fit the bill .but it looks like a fairly large plane at over 1200 sq. inches and up to 12 lbs.I'd like to have a relaxed flyer but not so underpowered it can't make any headway ,.any thoughts on taking off some or all of each outer wing bay or is that going to lose more than I might gain [ hey it's old design compromise ] ..any comments J J

Reply to
Jim & Elizabeth

There was a day, not oh so long ago, where unlimited vertical wasn't a requirement in a model airplane. They had these things called wings that could be used to generate as much or, now get this, even more lift than the motor!

This plane flies wonderfully on the 120. It will have a very good climb rate and short take off roll. You can loop it forever and do every trick that the 40 size does on a 40-46 size motor. THIS ISN'T A 3D PLANE, and no motor of any size will make it one. It wasn't designed for it, so don't waste money on a bigger motor that won't get you any more performance. Buy an extra or edge or whatever if that's what you really intend to fly it like.

As for personal preferences, I like the way this plane flies with a bay or two taken out the wing. It will handle wind gusts a lot better, and land steeper, making you look better. It wouldn't be IMAA legal at that point, but I'd pick something else if you want to fly IMAA.

Reply to
John Alt

The WM Super Sports Senior would go nicely with that engine as well...

Just a thought...

CJ

Reply to
CJ