Ace Big Bingo

I recently acquired an Ace Big Bingo, which is a giant (85" wing span) easy-flying airplane which looks much like a Four Star. I found one article about the plane on the web, and it mentions that the engine used is a Super Tigre 3000. I'm not familiar with Super Tigre and I'm wondering how many cubic inches that engine is. Seems to me that it might be something like a

1.40 or 1.60. Apparently the Super Tigre 3000 is no longer made, and was replaced with the 3250. Is there an equivalent in say an O.S. or other engine that I might be more familiar with? Also, does anyone have any other information regarding the Big Bingo as a result of first hand experience with one of these planes. Recommendations for equipping the plane are gladly accepted.

Harlan

Reply to
H Davis

On Sun, 20 May 2007 22:17:06 -0500, "H Davis" wrote in :

Looks to me like it is closer to 2 ci:

I think I heard that OS might have a 2 ci coming out. No reference available.

A plane that size cries out for a gasoline engine (at least it does to me). The big nitro engines gobble a lot of fuel.

Marty

Reply to
Martin X. Moleski, SJ

Marty:

Prior to my buying it, the Big Bingo did have a gas power plant. It was a Zenoah G38 from what I understand. That's still a possibility, I guess, but I don't know a thing about gas engines in this size range. On the other hand, Robert's mention of a large four stroke is kind of interesting, too.

I bought the plane used and stripped of its covering, so its going to get a complete overhaul before I do anything about the engine. Matter of fact, I have lots of other things to do before I should contemplate starting on this project, but that probably won't stop me.

I appreciate your comments.

Harlan

Reply to
H Davis

in

The Supertigre 3000 is a 1.8 cubic inch engine.

If I were building a Big Bingo I'd be tempted to try one of the big four strokes.

Robert Reynolds

On Mon, 21 May 2007 01:11:09 -0500, "H Davis" wrote in :

If you have the money, you could try the new Saito 2.00 gasser.

Four-stroke gasoline engine--the best of both worlds!

I'm going to price them on my next trip to the hobby shop. :-O

Good talking with you. Let us know how it all turns out!

Marty

Reply to
Martin X. Moleski, SJ

I used to fly a Big Bingo. It was powered by a 3 CI gas engine (anyone remember the Miller 50?) that used an electronic ignition.. That bad module is what caused the crash that ended my Big Bingo's flying days. It hit so hard the aileron control rods were driven through the servos. Ugh.

Jim

Reply to
Six_O'Clock_High

On Mon, 21 May 2007 14:40:53 GMT, "Six_O'Clock_High" hard the aileron control rods were driven through the servos. Ugh.

Condolences.

That's a new standard to add to the criteria for measuring the significance of a crash!

Marty

Reply to
Martin X. Moleski, SJ

Hmmm! 3 CI! Geez, if (when) I crash it, at least I'll have an extra lawnmower engine! This will call for a little rethinking.

I talked to ACE R/C this morning. Apparently the engines recommended for the Big Bingo ranged from 1.60 to 2.something. I'll be looking for something in the higher range at the next swap meet. Feeling the weight of this thing, Jim, the 3.0 is not a bad idea.

Harlan

Reply to
H Davis

On Mon, 21 May 2007 13:56:21 -0500, "H Davis" wrote in :

The gasoline engines are somewhat down on power compared to nitro-methanol engines of the same displacement.

3 CI of gasoline is probably a very reasonable approximation to what you'd get from the 1.6 to 2.0 nitro engines.

The gas engine is liable to weigh more, depending on what you choose--but if you use a light nitro engine, you may end up needing nose weight to get a good CG.

I've been flying some gasoline engines for two years. I like the fuel cost savings a lot.

Marty

Reply to
Martin X. Moleski, SJ

I knew a guy around here who had a Big Bingo with a ST 3250. It flew great, and I can't imagine why it would need any more power than that. It balanced well, too. It all depends on what your budget looks like. I'd love to see one with a Saito 1.80 or OS 200 four stroke. The gasoline engines don't have a lot of pizazz as far as I'm concerned.

Reply to
Robert Reynolds