Giant Big Stick for 2nd airplane?

I learned to fly a year ago with an Alpha .60 (with the Evolution engine) and love it. I have "wrung out" the Alpha with lots of stick time and trying to learn the few tricks it is capable of. I still love the trainer but want a new giant scale plane for my next. I thought the Giant Big Stick with the OS 1.60 would be a "safe" choice over a low-wing aerobat since the Stick has tricycle gear and high wings. Before I pull the trigger on this set-up I'd like to hear some reasons why I shouldn't. Are there similer planes to the stick that I may have overlooked? What am I missing by not going the low wing, tail dragger route? From what I've read the OS is plenty of power for the fifteen pound giant big stick.

Reply to
dancutter

Giant Big Stik would be a great choice for a second airplane if you want to stick with a larger aircraft. You had a lot of fun with your Hangar 9 Alpha .60 trainer, so don't forget that Hangar 9 makes the Ultra Stik 120.

Tail draggers are nice if you normally fly from a grass runway. Tricycle gear is normally more convenient on asphalt, although tail draggers fly fine from asphalt after a wee bit of practice.

If money is no object, the O.S. 1.60 engine is a great choice. The Super Tigre 2300 is a 1.4 cu in. engine available for half the price of the O.S. that has an outstanding reputation so long as you replace the Super Tigre glow plug that comes with it. Both engines are rated at 3.7 hp. Most modellers will tell you to stick with O.S. whenever possible, however. If you don't mind spending $299 vs. $149, it is probably good advice.

Keep in mind that the wing on a Giant Big Stik is over 80" long. You'll need a large truck or van to haul the plane around. A Big Stik .60 or Ultra Stik .60 would be much more managable to haul around in a small truck or car.

A stik is a great second plane, and there are lots of sizes and manufacturers available out there. If you have the room to haul one, a Giant Big Stik would be one of the most impressive looking possibilities in the entire category, and should be a blast to fly. I'd say go for it!

Reply to
Ed Paasch

You might check out the Hanger 9 Ultra Stick.

It's a 'stick' plane , similar to the Big Stick, but also has flaps and is a tail dragger. It is available in a 120 size that would really scream with a 160. I've got a 60 size Ultra Stick with a YS 91 4 stroke. It's my 2nd favorite plane, next to my Edge 540. Just my $.02 Paul

Reply to
Paul in Redland

Just for the record, the Giant Big Stik utilizes a two piece wing set up, making for much easier transport.

Ed Cregger

Reply to
Ed Cregger

Nice! Those guys at Great Planes think of everything. Anybody happen to know if the Ultra Stik 120 by Hangar 9 can be transported as two wing pieces or one wing?

Reply to
Ed Paasch

I have that one too.

Nope, that one you have to glue together, Ed.

Ed Cregger

Reply to
Ed Cregger

Any Stik for a second plane is a good choice.

Jerr

-- tailskid

Been modeling since '49 - which makes me an Old Fart

this thread:

tailskid2

If someone has average reflexes, vision and a real instructor, they also make excellent first airplanes.

Ed Cregger

Reply to
Ed Cregger