Great Planes Big Stick 60 ARF

I will be putting one together soon. Anything I should look for or know about? I plan to re-enforce the firewall with 1/4 inch triangle stock. I THINK someone said to re-enforce the OUTSIDE of the firewall (engine side) because it will be stronger with hard landings.

I have a 40 size Big Stick and love it. I hope the 60 size flies just as good.

TIA,

Don

Reply to
Don and Marion

What do they cover them with now? I had a Big Stick 40 about 6 years ago and it was total crap. Instead of glue, they used the sticky covering to hold the pieces in the wing! I found this out after a minor altercation with a post. I ripped off the covering and half of the ribs were loose. One rib was obviously broken during the factory assembly because they just slid another one along side with no glue.

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

Monokote

Reply to
Don Hatten

I found that out too when I went to re-cover my 40. The joke was that it was held together with the sticky covering! They now use Monokote.

Don

Reply to
Don and Marion

Don,

A few months ago someone else was asking questions about a Big Stik 60, and having been flying one now for 15 months, I responded to his questions and later exchanged some more info via e-mail with him. I've condensed all the posts and e-mails into a single file for you to go through (read it top to bottom).

I flew (and crashed) 3 of them back in the late 80's, got out of the hobby for 10 years, and got back into it with a Big Stik 60 ARF. I'm now flying it with an OS .91FX and absolutely love it -- with the .91 it hauls butt quite nicely.

Other than the vibration problem I refer to in the posts in the above link, I haven't had any mechanical/structural problems. I did have to epoxy/fuelproof the right side of the wing saddle as exhaust oil was seeping up into the joint with the wing and thus getting on to unprotected wood.

Jim

Reply to
Joe Bill

I read this the other day and was thinking that I only had positive things to say about the plane. It is my second plane after my trainer, and so far I had been having a great time with it.

Then that same afternoon I went flying, and on my first flight the GP supplied fuel tank ruptured. Now I get to remove all my gear from the inside of the plane and clean out the fuel, along with replacing the fuel tank.

My advice would be to really inspect the fuel tank and make sure you feel comfortable with it. Oh, and seal the hinge gaps. I did that recently and it really solidified the feel of the aircraft.

Micky

Reply to
Micky Ray

How did you seal your hinges? what size engine did you put in it?

micky snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Micky Ray) wrote:

Reply to
jeffm

I sealed the hinges with a strip of clear monokote. Search on RC Universe for selaing hinge gaps. There are a couple of good threads that explain exactly what to do.

As for engine, I am using an OS .61FX. This has been a fantastic power plant for this plane. Doesn't do unlimited verticle, but it does haul the plane around very nicely and is very reliable and easy to tune.

Micky

Reply to
Micky Ray