Webra 36

Anyone had any experience with this engine yet? Wondering how it compares to the 32. (Picking one up from the LHS tonight) Bill

Reply to
Bill

I'm sure it's about the same as the .35, which is an absolute little assassin. Great carb, too. Use a 9x6 for racing, and a 10x4 for trainers, bipes, and 3D/fun fly. It likes to rev at least 14K, and up to 17K is OK.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Adkins

Actually, it's more like the 32, ABC, same stroke, 1mm larger bore. The specs from Horizon say it's heavier than the 32. First thing I did when I got it home last night was to put it on the scale. It weighs exactly the same as the 32. Getting excited to try it out. (Wish it wasn't so foggy out)

Reply to
Bill

If it's like my .28's, .32's, and .35, you're in for a treat!

Bob

Reply to
Bob Adkins

Years ago, I was the first person to use a Webra 32 in our group. We had just finished our club fun fly contest for the year so I installed it on my Stickit IV, replacing an OS 40FP. (Not breaking the cardinal rule, don't change your combination before the contest) The mousse can muffler setup was the same as the OS as was the bolt pattern. Most guys were using the ST G-34's and the OS 40FP's. After the first flight, one of the old timers came over and said "What did you do, put a 60 on it?" We were all stunned at the amount of power the Webra put out.

Reply to
Bill

Man, those Stickits go way back to the pioneering days of Fun Fly.

When a stranger comes to the field and watches me fly, the first thing he wants to know is what engine I have on my models. They usually guess at least one size larger.

You sound like the kind of modeler who would find this interesting.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Adkins

I love it when they get a look at the underside of the plane and see the mousse can. "Whatcha packing that around for?"

Reply to
Bill

I answer "Because it's a sissy airplane. Wanna race?" :)

Bob

Reply to
Bob Adkins

Hi Bob. I remember when we all changed from .40's on Miss Marthas to the venerable Webra Speed .28 on Profile planes. The "Stickit" wasn't even around yet. We were all flying Marthas, Sweet Stiks, and Hots when Mac Hodges showed up at our fun fly with a balsa-fuselage profile plane. We were doing full circle T&G's at around 10 seconds each. Mac fired up and proceeded to show us the first competition figure 8 T&G we'd seen, at around 5 seconds. From there was born the current generation of competition fun fly planes. Smith, Azaar, Parker, Grantham, and a couple of others all had their own design, many of which were marketed. Engines went from Macho.40s to Webra Speed .28s and .32s, ST .34s, OS .32s, and Enya .34s. Dr.1 Driver "There's a Hun in the sun!"

Reply to
Dr1Driver

Those were the days. We used to take Enya .35 Helis and grind the head round to save .5 Oz or less. That was a great engine too. I guess I have 9 or 10 Webras, including a pair of .28's and a new .35 Heli. That .35 Heli is one bad little engine. It thinks it's a .46 or something.

I got really frustrated with the AMA magazine for not printing any FF articles. FF was apparently tabu because they perceived them as dangerous or they didn't want to encourage the growth of another special interest group.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Adkins

It might have been the level of intense competition. We had guys scraping names off their props and covering their servos so we couldn't tell what they were using. One guy took the RX case off to save about 10 grams. Covering was actually weighed to determine the lightest color. One airfoil Jerry Smith came up with was rumored to be the profile for a fairwater plane from a 688 Boomer. Totally laminar airflow LOL! Guys crash-dumped their planes on the runway just to save a couple of seconds. If there were 4 events, guys showed up with

4 palnes. "No damage" rules quickly came into force. It's still a fun event, and I wish the "sportsman" class would make a comeback. Dr.1 Driver "There's a Hun in the sun!"
Reply to
Dr1Driver