battery question - two 7.2 V packs to get 14.4 V

Hello

Can anyone tell me can I connect two 7.2 V Ni-MH packs in series to get

14.4V, use it for powering 20 W halogen lamp, and after power runs down disassemble it and charge 7.2 V packs separately, first one and then another. Is it possible to do this and not damage the batteries?

I own smart battery charger that can charge only 10 cells (MW 7168 omni) and I need 14.4 V battery.

Thank you

Reply to
Sharp

I can tell you that I've done it with 2 8 cell niMh packs charged as tw

8 cell packs then connected in series as 1 16 cell pack for flying an never had any problems at all. As long as you're not trying to dra too much current out of the packs you should be fine.

Ji

-- BrunswickO

----------------------------------------------------------------------- BrunswickOH's Profile:

this thread:

BrunswickOH

As long as you don't discharge them down too far, or with too much current. I'd be more concerned that you have a means of turning things off when you get down around to 0.9V/cell.

Reply to
Tim Wescott

Thats no problem, I would use this as bicycle light so after I test it I would determine optimal burn time and plan my rides accordingly.

Is 0.9 V limit under load or open circuit voltage?

Reply to
Sharp

Unless the battery is seriously wounded it's open-circuit voltage will be 1.2-1.25V, at least eventually. So yes, that's under load. If you actually build a circuit to cut power it needs to latch the "off" state or it'll just turn off, turn on, turn off, etc., and _really_ discharge the pack.

The nominal stop voltage is 0.9V per cell. I've seen this work both slightly higher and lower (my Triton charger wants to run them down to

0.8V under heavy load). I generally use 0.9V; it seems to work and you really don't get that much out of a cell between 0.9V and 0.8V.
Reply to
Tim Wescott