Biplane yard dart, It's a sick feeling.

It's hard to watch a plane come down without the wings, wings fluttering down gently and fuse plunging. A friend lost a Sig Sundancer 50 today. Failure could have been the lower wing main spar(wing joiner) or hardware holding upper wing to struts. The owner of the plane wasn't flying it. There were 4 of us there to see it and three of us have the same plane. How to prevent this from happening to ours? I may just have to put a ply joiner in my wing and find a different way to attach the upper wing. It's a pretty plane and I hate to cut into it but it's not as pretty when in crashes so I guess I'll take preventative measures. The plane survived really well. It needs a new firewall and cowl and re-join the lower wing or a new wing., uh, and new prop, and spinner. It was cutting some pretty stressful di-dohs (sp?) before it failed. I don't guess anyone has experience with this plane (small group nowadays) but I bet you've had a wing come off before. mk

Reply to
MJKolodziej

My one in-flight failure (when I was flying a plane I'd just repaired for someone else!!! Right after I said "Hey, watch this"!!!!) was due to a high-G maneuver plus a really badly-selected wing spar -- the grain length was less than 1-1/2 inch across a 1/4" spar.

It may be worth while to talk your buddy with the broken plane into letting the group see the wings with the covering off when he repairs it

-- seeing if it was an engineering fault or workmanship, and exactly what the problem was, should help the rest of you figure out the right modifications to undertake.

Reply to
Tim Wescott

I don't know this particular plane but I never heard of a Sundancer loosing a wing. Is this a 50CC bird or .40/.50 biplane?

Anyway, UGH! I hate the feeling when you KNOW it is going to crash no matter what you do. Closest I ever came and recovered was when I did an Immelman and the top wing came off my Super Stinker just as I leveled out. Full throttle touch and goes seemed to have prepared me for that landing because it was a greaser at really really high speed. The failure was the cabane block broke the bolts off and the lower strut mounts failed. The SS was flying as normal the next week.

Reply to
Six_O'Clock_High

"Six_O'Clock_High" > down gently and fuse plunging.

Great flying! It's a .40/.50 size plane, the same fellow had the 50cc size of the same plane and sold it(g62 in it). mk

Reply to
MJKolodziej