Carb Below Tank Level. Fuel Dot Goes Where???

I have a Midget Mustand ARF with an inverted ST90. The tank can't be adjusted,the engine is inverted. The tank is sitting bout an inch higher than the carb.Where should I put the fuel dot to slow some of the flooding.In between the two or below the carb?? Where should it go?? What's yall's thought??? Thanx

Reply to
TX_QBALL

I guess you mean the tank centerline is an inch higher then the carb spray bar? Not sure putting a fuel dot anywhere is going to make a difference, at least in preventing the motor from going lean when inverted...Ive used a perry pump for this kind of installation.

Peter

Reply to
peter

Fuel Dots are usually run as an independant line directly to the tank so it doesn't matter where it goes. In fact, since the Fuel Dot tube at the fuel tank is supposed to dump at the top of the tank, you can even put the Fuel Dot below the tank and it wouldn't make any difference.

MJC

Reply to
MJC

What's a fuel dot?

Reply to
The Shaw's

Maybe your thinking of a small extra tank near the carb. Oh, what do you call that set up? mk

Reply to
MK

I think you have a warped idea of what a fuel dot is. A fuel dot is just a fancy line end plug that fits in a fancy holder that installs in the side of the fuselage. It just plugs up the end of a third line running to the tank. Fuel dots have nothing to do with what goes on between the tank and the carburetor.

Reply to
Mathew Kirsch

Is Header tank the phrase you are looking for ?

Reply to
ray fisher

In my old C/L days there was a system which had a "chicken hopper" - an extra small tank in the fuel system which maintained a constant head of fuel to ensure consistent engine runs.

Malcolm

Reply to
Malcolm Fisher

If it does, how do you drain the tank, except by turning the whole plane upside-down? Dr.1 Driver "There's a Hun in the sun!"

Reply to
Dr1Driver

I run a SECOND pickup line with clunk inside the tank. I hook the line with the fuel dot to that. That way, I can defuel down to the last drop.

Reply to
jeboba

That works very well, especially with tanks like Hays that have molded in vent and fill barbs. You turn the airplane over slightly nose down, connect the fuel pump to the muffler pressure line, open the fuel dot and pump it out.

I think it is safer than dual clunks - not much to go wrong. But then, my planes are .40-.60 size, so that this is a simple operation.

Reply to
Mike Norton

yep, thanks. What about a header tank for this poster? mk

Reply to
MK

Uck,Oh,,,,I really messed up.......Sorry. I don't guess it's called a fuel dot.It's the Fueler valve that you put in the side of the fuse or cowl.Your fuelin hose plugs in it and you fill the tank up.It's called a Fuel Filler Valve by Great Planes..Actually I thought a Filler Valve and Fuel Dot were the same thing...I know now it's not. Sorry bout that.

Can I have a second chance?????

Reply to
TX_QBALL

There's no need to drain the tank. When I'm finished flying for the day, my standard procedure is to put line plugs in both the carb and pressure lines. Plugging those lines, along with the fuel dot plug in place, results in an air tight container, just like putting the fuel back in the can. If for some reason I feel the need to drain the tank (winter break?), I just pull it out of the tubing attached to the carb.

MJC

Reply to
MJC

OK now, that's a whole 'nuther story. But the simple answer to that is: Don't do it!. Most of us with years of experience behind us have been bitten at one time or another by the problems associated with putting ANY kind of gadget between the carb and the fuel tank, and that's EXACTLY what Fuel Dots were made for. They get rid of a potential air leak caused by a gadget that quits sealing correctly (which WILL happen over time). Go with a Fuel Dot instead so that there is nothing between the fuel tank and the carb except tubing itself.

MJC

Reply to
MJC

It still won't do anything to restrict the fuel flow to the carb if flooding is your concern. Probe in, the fuel runs out the probe. Probe out, the fuel runs down to the carb.

Reply to
Mathew Kirsch

I have not personally tried these, but they look like a simple solution to fuel filler problems. No valves, o-rings or anything else to go wrong. Right now I am using a fuel dot setup with T-fitting. I have to clamp the line going to the carb when fueling or defueling, however it is simple and works well.

John VB

Reply to
jjvb

NO MORE SOUP FOR YOU........

Reply to
Doug Dorton

you can put the fuel dot or fuel valve anywhere you want but it wont fix anything. Get a fuel pump.

go here. you want a VP 30 pump and the 9500 perry carb to go with the pump if you're using a Super Tiger 90.

peter

Reply to
peter

I wouldn't. Most inline filler valves eventually leak, causing lots of mixture control problems. Run a third line with a second klunk for filling and emptying. Dr.1 Driver "There's a Hun in the sun!"

Reply to
Dr1Driver