Carb Below Tank Level. Fuel Dot Goes Where???

Reply to
jim breeyear

A line from the fuel dot should reach the bottom of the tank so you can also remove the fuel through it. After all, isn't the reason for having a fuel dot is so that you don't have to fish out the carb line from a cowl installation?

For the subject question: The position of the fuel dot SHOULD have no affect on fuel flow. If it does, there is something wrong!

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

Then why even have fuel dots at all if you have easy access to the fuel lines? Also, if you have a brass clunk or tubes, you should always remove the fuel to slow the corrosion.

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

OK,Guys,I do appreciate yall's help. Here's what I'm facing. I don't know how many of you are familiar with a World Models Midget Mustang.A real nice looker and a cowl that must be

10/12 inches long.It's a beauty.Well made and a lot different than most cowls as it has a lot of quality.Seems to me anyway.It's very large with a lot of curves.

I have had an inverted OS 61 SF on a plane a couple of years ago and it was totally aggravating.Put fuel in it and it ran directly to the carb and out on the table.Burnt plugs and the whole works.I said I'd never invert again.

BUT,I'm sure hating to cut a big hole in the side of this cowl.The ST90 does not have the pump.Can't afford that rite now.If I invert the engine I won't have to cut the cowl that much at all.Thats why I'm thinking about inverting altho' I'm very familiar with the problems.

I was just wondering (my thoughts) if I put the Fuel Filler Valve higher than the tank maybe a half inch that it would slow the flooding. If I fill the tank thru the filler valve,the flow only goes to the tank while filling.When I pull the fuel filling hose off the valve,I'm wonderin if the fuel will stay in the tank instead of gravity flowing down to the carb.The fuel will have to go up slightly to the valve. NOW. Even tho the filler valve is slightly higher than the tank,I'm thinking (again and that's dangerous) that the pressure off the muffler should send fuel up to the filler valve and to the carb. I guess that's my main concern.If it will run well.

Everything is still sitting on the work bench until a decision is made. If it don't work out,I can always end up putting it sideways and cutting a big whole in the cowl. The guy I got it from has the same plane with the same engine and claims he has no problem with flooding.I'm just wondering how that is.

I appreicate yalls help Thanx again Walt

Reply to
TX_QBALL

Liquid finds it's own level so it does not matter where you put the filler gizmo. The level and pressure will be identical at the carb end as it is in the tank. One of your notes said that you could not afford a fuel pump. Have you thought about a Cline regulator? Don't know if they are less expensive than a pump but, IMHO, are a lot less trouble. They work great and would solve your problem nicely. Gord Schindler MAAC6694

Reply to
Gord Schindler

Who sells the Cline Regulator.Never heard of it. Thanx again Walt

Reply to
TX_QBALL

Just leave the valve open until ready to start the engine.

John VB

Reply to
jjvb

Once the fuel line is full all the way to the carb, it's going to siphon, no matter where you put the fuel dot.

CR

TX snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net wrote:

Reply to
Charles & Peggy Robinson