Charging setup for Ebike battery. Please help!

I've realised that is I want some answers to my question, this is th

place to come. I have to confess I'm not into RC yet... maybe on day!

I've got a 9ah LiPo 7s that needs a charger. The original one die recently. I've been hunting around for a charger and found a potentia candidate in the Astroflight 109. It's very important for me to kee the costs down so as to not alarm the missus. I've learnt that I'l need a 12v power supply but am curious to know whether I can use rigged version of a Dell power supply that puts out 12v and 12.5 amps which is just what the Astroflight 109 says it needs. I'm almos certain I'm missing some key understanding of how this works...

And one last question... If the Astroflight 109 says it will charg packs up to 8ah capacity, am I risking anything trying to charge m

9ah, 7s pack? I don't plan on charging fast at all. In fact a 4- hour charge time may be just fine.

Thanks for you help! What a fantastic forum this is!

Redlin

-- redline840

----------------------------------------------------------------------- redline8400's Profile:

this thread:

redline8400

Many of us use converted computer psu's, no problem there. Is the 12V output only 12.5A? The charger will step up the voltage to 26V, that'll cut the current available to about 5A to the battery. Just don't charge at greater than 5A and you should be OK. It'll probably take a couple hours to fully charge. The 109 is a great charger, but it's discontinued. If you can find one, Grab it!

PCPhill

Reply to
PCPhill

I've had the 109 D for about 3 years now and I love it. Bear in mind that it ONLY charges LIxx packs.

That power supply will do just fine. I'm using an AT PC power supply , 10 amp and I sometimes charge 7 cell 7400 packs.

Actually , it will charge at a 9500 mah rate with the 1.7 firmware that is in the newer chargers. You can charge that pack in 1 hour if you want to. Since I only discharge my packs about 80% I normally charge in a little less than an hour. Just be sure not to charge any packs faster than a 1C rate.

Hope this helps.

Ken

Reply to
ken day