China bans R/C

Secret deals and political theatre as Communists usher in the new guard Jane Macartney in Beijing In a little over a week, in one of the ornate rooms of the Great Hall of the People, a curtain will open to reveal the men who will run China for the next five years, and possibly for much longer. Yet the process that appoints them to such prominence, just as China marches towards becoming a great power of the 21st century, remains cloaked in mystery. For all the skyscrapers, urban glitz and sheer modishness of the modern China that they inherit, their coming to power is more a throwback to the days of Mao jackets, bicycles and ration coupons.

The 2,213 delegates gather behind the stocky Stalinist pillars of the Great Hall this morning to hear President Hu Jintao's report to the five-yearly gathering. It is a unique piece of theatre. The protagonists perform mainly off stage. The bit players stick to a prepared script. And the final act, when the curtain finally opens, shows a line-up of men chosen after much horse-trading among leaders of interest groups and factions. The congress retains much of the secrecy of the founding meeting, when 13 delegates, including Mao Zedong, met in a Shanghai back alley. They had to flee a police search and ended the session drifting in a boat on a nearby lake.

These days, however, the police are deployed in huge numbers to maintain security and to sequester or lock up any potential critic. Banned from the skies are such security threats as model aircraft and paragliders. A volunteer army of 824,000, identified by armbands in the style of the Red Guards, will patrol the streets to watch out for unsavoury behaviour.

Reply to
Red Scholefield

On Mon, 15 Oct 2007 13:30:48 -0400, I said, "Pick a card, any card" and "Red Scholefield" instead replied:

If you don't believe that they can be a security risk you're not thinking very clearly, Red. Besides, they only ban them being used near high risk areas.

-- Ray

Reply to
Ray Haddad

| These days, however, the police are deployed in huge numbers to maintain | security and to sequester or lock up any potential critic. Banned from the | skies are such security threats as model aircraft and paragliders.

And the US is different? Perhaps the `no flying' zone is smaller here, but other than that I don't see much difference.

Reply to
Doug McLaren

While China may have just done this, in other places, such as Saudi Arabia, the possession of transmitters of any kind is forbidden, including those used for RC planes. When I lived there some of the royal family were able to have them but then they got away with all kinds of stuff 'regular' people did not. The freedoms we enjoy here in the US are the exception on a world scale, not the rule. Cheers, jc

Reply to
jc

The message from Ray Haddad contains these words:

Hi Ray, half an hour on eBay will supply all the ingredients for a Thermite bomb, use old junk 27 Mhz gear from scrap r/c cars and some bits of Balsa, a motor and prop and you got a flying Thermite bomb and it is literally that easy so little wonder those-in-high-places are getting a bit itchy about r/c transmitters etc,

regards, Terry

Reply to
Terence Lynock

What B.S.! R/C is alive and well in China! I just had the thrill of flying R/C LAST WEEK at a Chinese Military Aircraft Museum outside Beijing! For those of you who don't know....Beijing is where the rulers sit!

If you don't believe me, send me your email and I'll send you some pictures!

Jeez, people just like to stir up a bunch of crap about China all the time. Don't be so paranoid!

Reply to
Jim

Now that's funny. There is a prime example of Marty's theory VS experiment. :) mk

Reply to
MJKolodziej

HUH?

I just got back from China 2 days ago..

R C is alive and well there, and the people are expecting even MORE freedoms after this Congress finishes....

I suspect it will continue..

It is changing , for better or worse..

The power will ultimately rest with the people with the money, as it does everywhere else...

One of the HUGE concerns there is their environment, and it is high on the their agenda....

As for the "back room" political deals.. that kind sounds like Canada eh? Our parlimentary "proceedings" are pure entertainment on the good days... The real business is conducted behind closed doors..I would expect similar comments from the American members of this forum..

I never saw the "volunteer army", Most I saw were private security people and police (I asked) and lots of them.

Shopping areas were crawling with them, former pick-pocket havens were policed heavily. Anybody trying anything criminal there would have to have graduated from stupid school....

YMMV!

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Well said Dave. I feel safer walking down the street in China than I do in this country. The people have more freedom than we do in many ways. Their big cities are more modern than ours. More than 50% of the people have their own cars now. Real Estate is more expensive than in the U.S., etc.

If you're smart, you'll get on their side, they're going to take over the world economically very soon.

And yes, what goes on in Canada goes on in the US tenfold! We are our own worst enemies in the U.S. Our politicians bad mouth China all the time and it is not justified. It's just more scare tactics from our current President.

Reply to
Jim

Well Jim, It WAS quite an experience!

Amazing contrasts..

Their economy is presently powered by only 20% of the population. There appear to be some very intellegent leaders in their government who recognise some of the issues and deal with them. ..and the resources they have to throw at the problem are staggering..

When the other 80% of the population "wakes up" to all the perks and oportunities we "western" people have, we had better be ready.

We felt very much at ease there. In the cities and tourist spots, lots of people spoke english (more people speak english in China than in North America) They are training their children to work and live in OUR world, at a frantic pace. They want to learn how we do business, in order to play the same game.

They are addressing polution and global warming issues head on, not bantering about it like we are. One respected official spoke of this, saying..

- we (China) produce the same amount of CO2 as the US , but only 1/4 as much PER CAPITA.

- If we do nothing, and the rest of our people have airconditining and cars in 10 years from now, "we will kill the world." (exact quote)

Now, the OT part :)

I did not have the time to go find them, but the R/C sport is apparently growing in step with their affluence.

They already manufacture all the stuff they (and we ) need.

We fly more of their products than they do ours..

Cheers!

Dave

Reply to
Dave

hi, send some picture about what you mentioned please

Reply to
rollandfisher

You got it Red. Check your email

Reply to
Jim

Funny to read this display of disinformation...

If you read the article carrefully, you will understand that R/C i prohibited DURING the congress and in the streets around th meeting...

In china it's common to see a r/c plane or heli taking off from sidewalk... Parkflyer at its best.

Don't think it's going to change soon, they are craving for freedom

-- dbernabe

----------------------------------------------------------------------- dbernabeu's Profile:

this thread:

dbernabeu

Absolutely and well said. The amount of disinformation about China is amazing...including that coming from our own government. Evil Empire indeed! Go there, see for yourself!

Reply to
Jim

Some of you asked, so here you go:

That's me with the transmitter.