Athol China

I saw a Chinese made, Starrett Dial Caliper yesterday and a chill went
down my spine as I sensed yet another shift towards the end of western
civilization. So when did this happen?
Reply to
best wire
I wonder if it's a counterfeit. Got a photo?
Reply to
Doug Miller
I hope that it's not a real Starrett. I sent my 721B caliper in for repair a few weeks ago. If they make 'em in China, it wouldn't be worth getting them repaired any more.
Doug's right, get a photo if you can, send it to Starrett.
Doug Miller wrote:
Reply to
Louis Ohland
Sadly, it may not be a counterfeit. According to Starrett's web site
now have a manufacturing facility in Suzhou, Jiangsu Province, PRC.
Reply to
Doug Miller
Dip me in shee-it. Why in the hell have a Starrett manufacturing plant in a nation that is churning out lots of low-priced instruments?
Cognitive dissonance: ON
I'd watch what Starrett uses this plant for - supply Asian industry - OR - sell them to the US.
Doug Miller wrote:
Reply to
Louis Ohland
At least a year ago - I bought a new Starrett digital mic then and it is made in China. Silky smooth, but batteries don't last long and it turns out that only certain brands will work as replacements. The first replacement I tried wouldn't power up the mic but Starrett was quick to reply to email with the cause and the name (Varga?) of the manufacturer that should have been used and even followed up a few days later to make sure the problem was resolved.
Mike
Reply to
Mike Henry
I remember that feeling from the first time I saw a set of Mitutoyos. You get used to it.
dennis in nca
Reply to
rigger
=================== While I understand the sentiment, I would suggest that you look back a generation and replace China with Japan.
As England found out, the US found out, and Japan is rapidly discovering, "technical expertise," "manufacturing methodology," and "product excellence" is not bestowed as some inalienable divine right on a country, but is developed by hard work and maintained by practice, practice, practice.
Reply to
F. George McDuffee
Damn straight.
I think I'll write them a letter and let them know I'm not pleased.
Reply to
Doug Miller
I've essentially Given up on trying to buy new tools build in industrialized nations
I dont buy crap anymore but out of my last 4 major NEW tool purchases I'm only batting .400
CRAFTSMAN Tool Chests ....... Canada (Drummondville Quebec) YAY!!!!! Dewalt Corded Hammer drill ....... Mexico Miller Synchrowave 200 ........USA (With Taiwanese circuit boards ) Bosch Corded Reciprocating Saw ...... China Hitachi 18V Lithium Impact Driver ....... China
Whether or not i like the fact tat the tools were made in the PRC they are Good darn tools. But Made from a company that at least makes tools for the global market.
If i could I'd buy only Canadian tools and i'll be the first to say tat for the EXACT same quality in canada versus foreign i'd pay a premium Not double but a significant premium nonetheless
All of my Foreign "Name Brand" tools have taken anything i've thrown at them and kept trucking.
But My Canadian tools (Black and decker made 30 years ago) i've only broken a 3/8" Corded drill by putting the thing through some EXTREME abuse (namely a 4 inch hole saw several inches deep) I cant kill the skil saw as long as the blade is on frontwards.
If they are built to proper standards as quality tools most of my objections vanish about places like the PRC
the only thing i wish is that the same safety standards held for the PRC as the west if they made equal tools for less money with the same safety and comfort standards for workers as the "west" then thats merely good business sense. But there is a bit of an exception there
The only other objection i have is a company with no business being done globally or in the Developping nations to offshore their Manufacturing or services.
If all your income is from the US then sending your phonecalls to a Call Centre in India because the labor is WAY cheaper than the long distance Bothers the hell out of me. Starett are sold at a premium BECAUSE they are made in Athol. If they have a HUGE cost cut which i'm sure Chinese toolmakers are over american then i hop MOST of those savings are passed to the clients and they maintain their profit margins near the same they hold for amercian tools. But if "Starett" tools hat are just as good but lower price are out they might take people who would have had to write Starett off the list for very close to the same quality might help increase market share as long as starett are not only a high end US ONLY (North American Only) instrument maker
I can understand a company making quality tools making a "budget" line of good quality but lesser price but made elsewhere to help reduce the costs at similar quality.
If a company is "national" only then as far as i'm concerned they need to accept "national" Labor and manufacturing as a cost to doing business when your footprint and sales are only in the single nation then you're being unethical to avoid the costs of doing business int the nation you're from.
Brent Ottawa Canada
Reply to
Brent
Some of the Mitutoyo stuff I've bought was made in Brazil!
Best regards, Spehro Pefhany
Reply to
Spehro Pefhany
Starrett have been making tools in their Chinese plant since 1998. They aren't the same tools that they make here, though. If you want the American-made calipers, you can buy them. If you don't want to pay that much money and will settle for lesser quality, you can buy their Chinese-made calipers. Made in their own plant, which puts them a cut above many of the other Chinese calipers. And they are backed by Starrett, not some distributor who knows little about the product, or a factory you can't talk with.
They are a company of toolmakers - not of importers or marketers. They are proud of the tools they make, and are committed to making them here. I think you'll find them doing so for as long as there is a Starrett company.
John Martin
Reply to
John Martin
A bit of searching with Google, try "diesel engine china" for example, shows that a great many companies are taking advantage of the low cost of doing business in China. Cummins Diesel for example, manufactures engines in China and sells them world wide. During the post war boom in Germany much of the labor force was imported from Turkey.
A bit more research will show that many "made in America" items are actually manufactured in China, or other asian countries, and shipped to the U.S. as parts . The parts are then assembled in the U.S. and advertized as "US Made". All very legally too, according to US regulations.

Bruce in Bangkok (brucepaigeatgmaildotcom)
Reply to
Bruce
I am sure that Chinese workers can make quality goods, if asked properly, provided with adequate machinery, and correctly trained and supervised. There is no magic to making good quality items, especially with CNC equipment. It is just a little more costly, requires good workers, engineers, machines etc.
The Starrett knockoffs that we see here, though, may be in part due to Chinese companies stealing Starrett's specs and blueprints from that Chinese plant, and then reusing them to make knockoff copies of Starrett's goods.
Ignoramus744
I would hope the factory was built for the Asian market - but...... Martin Martin H. Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net TSRA, Life; NRA LOH & Endowment Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot's Medal. NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member.

Doug Miller wrote:
Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn
I think most of us are damn sick and tired of being the R+D department of their operation, do you people remember when a product was developed and refined on their own dime? your probably right 10 or 15 years from now they will make a quality product but I do not want to finance the commie pricks in the meantime. I have sent a lot chinese junk back now taiwan seems to be doing well hope the chinese don't get their fingers in it. as far as the japanese are concerned didn't they just have some kinda quality problem with toilets that set your arse on fire? {GG}
Reply to
batw
Iggy they do not have to steal the specs, part of doing buisiness in china is that you have to turn over access to intelectual rights to the chinese govt. thats part of the price of cheaper labor ha ha. stupid morons are outfitting their future competetors free of charge.
Reply to
batw
As an addendum to the above, I had a friend who worked at L.S. Starrett for a while. He told me that they had a policy of destroying any parts that did not pass inspection so that there was no possible way in which a faulty L.S. Starrett tool could find its way into the marketplace. You got to give a lot of credit to people that are really proud of their product.