Prussian Blue

While working on the bridgeport today, I was checking to make sure that the nose cap was actually pressing on the OR versus the IR which shouldn't contact but it looked like the labyrinth seal might be doing so.

So I got out a tube of Prussian blue that I've had for a while but never used before. The first thing that happened is that it spewed out when I pierced the metal seal like it was pressurized. :(

Then I noticed it gets on everything and everyone. It did verify that the right part of nose cap pushes on the right part of the spindle though.

BTW, Gojo seemed to be the only thing that got it off my hands. Soap, kerosene and alcohol wipes didn't affect it.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

I don't have a doubt that a single dab of that stuff will easily cover the earth. :-)

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos

"Harold and Susan Vordos" wrote in news:6k1ki.36362$ snipped-for-privacy@newsreading01.news.tds.net:

AMEN to that!

Tis why it's a favorite of the jokesters....a single dab under a toolbox drawer pull makes for an almost complete full-sized smurf in short order. (Also works well for: Safety glasses nosepiece, ear piece or top rim, door knobs, telephone earpiece, rubber glove fingertips, etc) Not that I would know anything about those uses....

Reply to
Anthony

My uncle told me that where he used to work, the only container of prussian blue allowed in the plant, under penalty of of termination, was in the HR managers desk drawer.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

I keep mine tube in a ziplock bag. Even though the tube isn't broken it seems to get all over everything. When I use it I wear those orange "refinishing gloves" that Menard's and Fleet Farm sell. There doesn't seem to be any way to spread it around that is better than using a finger. But it sure is worth it when needed. I have always wondered if a tube of blue oil paint from the artists supply store wouldn't work as well. When I bought a small tube some years ago, it took weeks to get here because it is considered hazardous material.

Pete Stanaitis

--------------------

Wes wrote:

Reply to
spaco

You guys should really look into getting water-soluble bearing blue. Same thing, washes off with soap and water really easily.

Regards,

Robin

Reply to
Robin S.

It also works great on the underside of a car door handle...

A buddy of mine uses it to mark the high spots for scraping. He smears it on a surface plate... With his hand... Then he splashes a bit of the magic solvent on and it wipes right off... The magic solvent is WD-40.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Foster

Anthony, That is GREAT!!!! I have an apprentice who is constantly terrorizing me (I made the mistake of showing him how to make acetylene bombs and a few other things). Last week I was teaching him some simple GTAW stuff and he made a 4x4 inch box and welded my car keys in it and left it on my desk. Alas, come 16:30hrs and time to go home, I'm going all over my desk and tool chests to find my keys only to see him and some of the crew rolling around laughing hysterically when I found the note "Shake the box, Rob" on my desk. Little bastard did a good job and do you have any idea how hard it is to cut it open with a band-saw and not chop my keys or remote in half! I'm gonna get the toilet seat and every thing he touches with Machinist's blue tomorrow morning!!!!! This is an idea I never thought of!! I'll be glad to help him get it off with some 60 grit! THANKS A MILLION! Payback is a bitch!

All the best,

Rob Fraser

PS: I will be posting some pics of a 640 CID that blew apart on the dyno and stuck the blower and top-end through a cinder block wall in the dyno cell Thus. (SJEW crew are aware of some of the exploits in the new shop) One hell of a fire and explosion. Dumped all the Halon tanks and did some major remodeling!) It will be on robfraser.net/racing_engines. asap. 60k engine reduced to garbage. Iggy- need some junk to mill on? This was the big blown/injected motor in the front of the old shop.

Fraser Competition Engines Chicago, Il.

Reply to
RDF

I have a bottle of dapra rubbing ink that probably would have worked also. I wonder if that is the same thing?

Wes

Reply to
Wes

Jerry sez: "> A buddy of mine uses it to mark the high spots for scraping."

Oh! Wow! Pretty resourceful if your buddy figured that for himself.

Bob (doesn't belabor the obvious) Swinney

He smears it

Reply to
Robert Swinney

But whats the fun of that?

The Blue Badge of Courage....

Gunner

Gunner

"RDF" wrote in news:homdnT4YBMpQlgzbnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

Hehe...have some fun. There are a hundred other ways I've seen it used to get someone blue. Probably the most effective is in situation where cotton gloves are worn under rubber gloves, such as in production shops. When the victim lays the gloves down and goes to break, a little dab in the tip of each finger of the rubber glove is all it takes. They come back and put on the cotton gloves, then the rubber, but they will never notice the prussian blue in the tips because it won't automatically contact the skin and by the time it does, it's up to body temp. Another couple of hours of wearing that mess around....well...you can imagine...

Reply to
Anthony

Tawn, waxing poetically goes, "We buy a 55 gal drum of the stuff at a time, it lasts for months and months!"

Yeah and that's part of the problem. The whole damned country turned blue and we can't tell the good un's from the bad un's. Also, some of that 55 gal. got splashed on Mexico and mixed with tequila and turned green . . . now we've got a green problem with them. Bad Tawm, bad !!

Bob (my neighbors got green cards) Swinney

Reply to
Robert Swinney

55 gallons of blue? try using a milling machine on the rough castings before scraping them. :-)

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

OK, OK, but the point I was trying to make was that WD-40 cleans up the Prussian blue mess very, very well...

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Foster

We buy a 55 gal drum of the stuff at a time, it lasts for months and months!

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Sorry Jerry, I couldn't resist. You make a good point re. WD-40. As I understand it, the active ingredient in WD-40 is kerosene, about the same as is in Liquid Wrench. Both are sometimes recommended as cuttings fluids for aluminum.

Reply to
Robert Swinney

Back when I was an apprentice almost everyone used "prussian blue" oil paint from the art store. A tube lasts for years.

Bruce in Bangkok (brucepaigeatgmaildotcom)

Reply to
Bruce

You can get genuine Prussian blue oil paint there, and it works for marking and scraping, but the carrier is of course a drying oil like linseed and not what you want to be spreading on your layout tools and machines. Any residue will polymerize and be very difficult to get off. This permanency is why artists like it.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

The Oceans were green like the seas. Tom came along and bam!! The ocean turned blue.

Mart> Tawn, waxing poetically goes, "We buy a 55 gal drum of the stuff at a time,

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn