Thanks John C and Bill R.

Your leads on a Fanuc guy paid off and the poor bastards got a tech lined up for this morning, who says he has the servo drives (HOO2) in
stock.
I hope thats all that was toasted..but he will diagnose the damages.
Much obliged.
More Kharma points. I charged the electrician a Mt. Dew from the pop machine.
Gunner
"The importance of morality is that people behave themselves even if nobody's watching. There are not enough cops and laws to replace personal morality as a means to produce a civilized society. Indeed, the police and criminal justice system are the last desperate line of defense for a civilized society. Unfortunately, too many of us see police, laws and the criminal justice system as society's first line of defense." --Walter Williams
Gunner wrote:

No prob Gunner, feel free to call any time, but all I did was give you Bill's cell number. I thought of him immediately when you described the difficulty. I'm a little surprised you didn't call Warren Goyer. He really knows the ropes.

Better yet, just learn to keep the smoke in. Letting it out can be a real pain - or so I hear. A VOM is pretty handy when you connect a machine tool to the mains. Mandatory from my perspective, and I never believed anyone's representations about how things were configured either at the service enterance or the machine. Under other circumstances, your electrician might have put the customer out of business.
--
John R. Carroll
Machining Solution Software, Inc.

I've caught two installs so far where 240v derived via step down transformer is 960 waiting for he that flips the disconnect.
The hairs raise up on my neck when I hear, "It is all ready, you just need to put in the bus disconnect fuses and check phasing".
Wes S
snipped-for-privacy@lycos.com wrote in

We had one blow up a mazak... 460 when the machine was wired for 240...wasn't pretty...let a whole lot of smoke out of that one.
--
Anthony

On Fri, 16 Jun 2006 17:52:53 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@lycos.com wrote:

GACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Arnt plasma arcs beautiful to watch?
G "If thy pride is sorely vexed when others disparage your offering, be as lamb's wool is to cold rain and the Gore-tex of Odin's raiment is to gullshit in the gale, for thy angst shall vex them not at all. Yea, they shall scorn thee all the more. Rejoice in sharing what you have to share without expectation of adoration, knowing that sharing your treasure does not diminish your treasure but enriches it."
- Onni 1:33
On Fri, 16 Jun 2006 20:39:33 GMT, "John R. Carroll"

his own business..him and his wife. Does good looking work. To be fair..the business owner marked on the floor of the new building diagrams of which machine went where, with notes for " PULL Air-440vts" etc. So the kid did exactly as the owner specified.
So I told him about the Techs Rules of Life.
Of which they all pretty much boil down to :
" Trust but Verify"
Whether its a lockout or a voltage...always verify. If you cant get into the cabinet...you dont even install that circuit breaker until you can. Or get a signed wavier from the owner, perferably in front of a sitting Supreme Court justice as witness.
He was so shook up, not about any possible financial issues..but because he really cared..that I was impressed. The rest of the job, quite a massive one..was well laid out, well executed and done clean and neat. So Ill recommend him to customers. But I will back check him...<G>
Thanks again
Gunner, who once trusted an inhouse company electrician who pulled in and marked a sub panel as 208. Fortunately...Yaskawa drives are tough..and their overvoltage protections are FAST. Though the 480 evaporated the extrenal MOVs and plated the inside of the drive cabinet with a most impressive BANG!!!!!!!!!!!!
"If thy pride is sorely vexed when others disparage your offering, be as lamb's wool is to cold rain and the Gore-tex of Odin's raiment is to gullshit in the gale, for thy angst shall vex them not at all. Yea, they shall scorn thee all the more. Rejoice in sharing what you have to share without expectation of adoration, knowing that sharing your treasure does not diminish your treasure but enriches it."
- Onni 1:33

Gunner,
I missed the original thread, but sure sounds like blown metal oxide varistors from some of the other posts.
An incredibly easy fix, and the parts cost is only about $2.00 per drive.
--
SVL

Gunner wrote:

Steve is a good service guy. I recommend him all the time. Hey John.
On Sun, 18 Jun 2006 21:24:08 GMT, Bill Roberto

Many thanks again.
Gunner