Lincoln Idealarc TIG 300/300 VERSUS HOBART CYBERTIG CT300

I just bought the Idealarc and everyone was kind enough to comment on it. Now, I have a chance to buy a Hobart Cybertig 300 amp machine, too.

The Hobart will cost $500.00, just like the Idealarc did (coincidence). I am curious as to which one would be the best machine and why?

Also, the Idealarc did not come with a torch. Which one would be the best to get?

Thank you.

k.o.

220 0 article Path: finder4.readnews.com!fe10-msgid.iad02.newshosting.com!textbe01-ams!hwmnpeer02.ams!hw-filter.ams!hwmnpeer01.ams!hwmnpeer01.lga!hwmedia!news.highwinds-media.com!newshub.sdsu.edu!elnk-nf2-pas!newsfeed.earthlink.net!stamper.news.pas.earthlink.net!newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net.POSTED!6070bd70!not-for-mail From: "knowone" Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking,sci.engr.joining.welding Subject: Lincoln Idealarc TIG 300/300 VERSUS HOBART CYBERTIG CT300 Lines: 14 X-Priority: 3 X-MSMail-Priority: Normal X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2900.2670 X-MIMEOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2900.2670 X-RFC2646: Format=Flowed; Original Message-ID: Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2006 18:45:45 GMT NNTP-Posting-Host: 71.51.97.151 X-Complaints-To: snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net X-Trace: newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net 1142534745 71.51.97.151 (Thu, 16 Mar 2006 10:45:45 PST) NNTP-Posting-Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2006 10:45:45 PST Organization: EarthLink Inc. --
finder4.readnews.com rec.crafts.metalworking:204416 sci.engr.joining.welding:23847 X-Received-Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2006 11:45:46 MST (textbe01-ams)

I just bought the Idealarc and everyone was kind enough to comment on it. Now, I have a chance to buy a Hobart Cybertig 300 amp machine, too.

The Hobart will cost $500.00, just like the Idealarc did (coincidence). I am curious as to which one would be the best machine and why?

Also, the Idealarc did not come with a torch. Which one would be the best to get?

Thank you.

k.o.

Reply to
knowone

That probably depends mostly on the condition of the machines and what comes with them.

The Cybertig has more features you may or may not ever need or use -- and more stuff to go wrong.

Reply to
Don Foreman

Thanks for the input, Don.

Well, I love bells, whistles, lights, knobs, switches, etc.

I GUESS neither of these machines are squarewave. I don't even know if I would want squarewave never having drawn a tig arc or seen anyone do it.

I hope that I can find a how-to video on tig so that I can have some idea of what I may be doing.

Are all tig torches (water-cooled) pretty much alike? I may can get a Profax unit cheaply.

What would you recommend as far as consumables, etc?

Reply to
knowone

My only experience is with the Weldcraft WP-20, which I have found to be completely satisfactory. I have no experience with Profax but the model 20 looks very similar -- nearly identical.

Only consumables I know of are tungstens and filler rod -- and stuff to practice on. I suppose collets, cups etc are consumables but they are torch-specific.

I get my tungstens from:

They also offer CD's and videotapes on TIG (GTAW) welding. I've not reviewed them.

I think you should quit shopping and start welding!

Reply to
Don Foreman

Plus the Cybertig doesn't have good support now that Hobart has been broken up. That said I've welded with both and prefer the Cybertig.

Reply to
Wayne Cook

I agree totally. I do have a W-18 torch on my 300 amp Airco square wave, simply because I was doing some big aluminum at full output and the smaller 20 was heating up a smidge..so I stuck on one of the spares. But Ill put the 20 back on this coming weekend as its far far handier to handle and does most everything up to about 250 amps

Gunner

"The importance of morality is that people behave themselves even if nobody's watching. There are not enough cops and laws to replace personal morality as a means to produce a civilized society. Indeed, the police and criminal justice system are the last desperate line of defense for a civilized society. Unfortunately, too many of us see police, laws and the criminal justice system as society's first line of defense." --Walter Williams

Reply to
Gunner

Thanks, Don and Gunner and Wayne.

I will take your advice. I DO want to stop shopping and get to welding but I can't pick up my machine just yet.

k.o.

Reply to
knowone