What happend to elecrical cars?

They were shredded!!!! Watched the "NOW" TV show last night about, a new movie coming out "What happened to electrical cars?"
Back in the late 90's EV cars appeared on the roads, but wasn't sold to the public other than leased. Wasn't even an option to buy them, but had to be returned at the end of the lease. These cars were simply shredded at car recycling centers, for the great pleasure of big auto mfg. companies. Car companies don't want plug-in EV cars,they too simple. They want engine and transmission in the cars that breaks down, needs to be maintained and burn gas, even if it's only a hybrid. They would even give it away to you, just burn gas and buy parts for it, like the $49 printers and consumers have to buy $79 ink cartridges for it to run them. Can't wait to see the movie this summer. JS
Protagonist wrote:

Plain and simple, many consumers are still ok with the current gas prices. I would wager that there are many here who still want to get in a truck that has 300 hp and climb any grade at >80mph while towing their boat trailer. I see it every day as I drive up a steep hill on the 101 from work. My poor little 4 cyl is in the slow lane doing 60 while the big shiny Dodge Hemi's are flying up the hill at 80+. These are daily commuters btw.
-- Bill

They take their boats to work????
Gunner <G>
"The importance of morality is that people behave themselves even if nobody's watching. There are not enough cops and laws to replace personal morality as a means to produce a civilized society. Indeed, the police and criminal justice system are the last desperate line of defense for a civilized society. Unfortunately, too many of us see police, laws and the criminal justice system as society's first line of defense." --Walter Williams
Gunner wrote:

When the lake is on the other side of work from their homes, sure. Saves time, fuel and vehicle wear.
Pete C.
Gunner wrote:

Well yea... doesn't everybody? <g> Two thought melding to one. Point is - there ain't a big rush around these parts for economy (expect for me maybe).
-- Bill

Those are cool, but they aren't legal for streets marked over 35 mph in most states.

Stupit shit really, it's a marketing failure...
They manufacturers need to put upfront the amperage input ( in kwh ) needed for a full recovery recharge is all.
After that, it's all fairly simple math.
--
SVL

I don't think they cared to support these cars with service parts. I think the requirements of the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act had a lot to do why they were bought back and shreded.
If you need a set of body pan covers for your GM EV-1 'Impact', forget about that one. The company stupid enough to make them long ago went bankrupt. DAMHIKT.
Wes S