Who Killed the Electric Car trailer

Now Americans dieing 10 thousand miles away for oil.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSBykAngDpY&mode=related&search

Heh heh heh! Here's another one for all you cowardly Bush-bashin' liberal sissies out there.
http://boortz.com/nuze/200607/07282006.html#oil
And I'm sure you left-wing weenies will also be sad to see your hero Cynthia is falling in the polls. ROFLMAO!
http://boortz.com/nuze/200607/07282006.html#mckinney

So just exactly is the electricity to power these things supposed to come from ?
IOW, need to try charging one up overnight sometime using a coleman generator or somesuch, and then report back to us with your MPG findings...
--
SVL

There's that, low range per charge, and have you ever seen a defective battery explode in a cell phone or laptop?
Just imagine being wrapped up in a giant rolling battery when it blows. Or maybe it will happen while parked in the garage under the house while you're snoozing away.
--

Dan

Scopulus est usquequaque nefas
D Murphy wrote:

How about the batteries explode in the hybrid car?? Are you saying, hybrids don't have batteries? JS

It's possible.

Huh???
There is also reluctance on the part of fire fighters to go tearing into a hybrid or electric vehicle after a crash. There's enough electricity to kill a person.
--

Dan

Scopulus est usquequaque nefas

There is enough gasoline in a normal car to kill a person if ignited.

They can see and smell gasoline and fire. Not so with electricity.
Firefighters, oddly enough, wear gear that protects them from fire. At minimum they will need training and perhaps some more gear to deal with hybrids and electric vehicles.
--

Dan

Scopulus est usquequaque nefas
D Murphy wrote:

Protective gear also insulate against electrical shock! They can always wear rubber gloves and shoe! Also, there is difference between DC and AC shock. DC burns, while AC stops the heart! Batteries are DC! So, your theory about exploding batteries is, lot of crap! JS

That would be the new gear genius.

I think two boots would be better than one shoe.

Really? Next time there's a thunderstorm, why don't you go stand on a hill top and hold a big metal pole up in the air. Repeat until you get struck by lightning. Then get back to us and let us know how your heart liked that little jolt of DC current.

The depth of your ignorance astounds me.
<http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid328&ref=y
--

Dan

Scopulus est usquequaque nefas
D Murphy wrote:

How stupid can you be , comparing the power of lightening to some car batteries.
>>The comparison between the dangers of alternating current and direct current has been a subject of debate ever since the War of Currents in the 1880s. DC tends to cause continuous muscular contractions that make the victim hold on to a live conductor, thereby increasing the risk of deep tissue burns. On the other hand, mains-frequency AC tends to interfere more with the heart's electrical pacemaker, leading to an increased risk of fibrillation. AC at higher frequencies holds a different mixture of hazards, such as RF burns and the possibility of tissue damage with no immediate sensation of pain. Generally, higher frequency AC current tends to run along the skin rather than penetrating and touching vital organs such as the heart. While there will be severe burn damage at higher voltages, it is normally not fatal.
It is believed that human lethality is most common with AC current at 100-250 volts, as lower voltages can fail to overcome body resistance while with higher voltages the victim's muscular contractions are often severe enough to cause them to recoil (although there will be considerable burn damage). However, death has occurred from supplies as low as 32 volts.
Electrical discharge from lightning tends to travel over the surface of the body causing burns and may cause respiratory arrest.<<

Genius. First off, the batteries are DC, but the input to the motor in most electric vehicles is AC.
Second, if the batteries have enough voltage to power a 150Kw motor, they've got enough power to kill you. AC or DC.
Third, electric vehicles cost more to run than one with an internal combustion engine and they will only run for about ninety minutes at highway speeds.
--

Dan

Scopulus est usquequaque nefas

most
If by most you mean less than half, I guess you're right.

No, they don't. Not if you use lead acid batteries.
BTW, EV's have an inertia based switch that kills the power in case of an accident.

Cars also have a kill switch for the fuel pump. Sometimes the wreck damages it, or it fails to work.
--

Dan

Scopulus est usquequaque nefas

Sorry, I wasn't clear. They don't cost more to own and operate than IC's
D Murphy wrote:

So? Than where is the DC/AC converter located? At the batteries or close to the engine? Have you heard of the Ford Pinto, fuel tank blow up on rear impact? You think all gasoline driven cars are perfect? >

Still don't even come close to the power of lightening has, still you find people who survived it.

>>In late 2003, GM cancelled the EV1 program[5][6] . Despite unfulfilled waiting lists and positive feedback from the lessees, GM stated that it could not sell enough of the cars to make the EV1 profitable[7]. GM also cited a lack of demand. However, every EV1 that was offered for lease was placed in service.<< http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Motors_EV1 JS
D Murphy posted for all of us... I don't top post - see either inline or at bottom.

Huh, I'm more worried about airbags going off!
--
Tekkie

PrecisionMachinisT wrote:

From the wall socket, retard! Plug it in! If you would've seen the show, as they talk to GM representatives, EV cars were just to simple. Gee, it didn't even have a transmission!!!! Car makers want vehicles with engine, transmission, lot of parts that can wear, break down, need repair, parts to be sold, burn gas, provide jobs and bozos like you can thinker with it. EV cars didn't fit this criteria, so they were shredded. People want it the EV cars, at end of lease they want it to buy them. But they were not for sale. At the end of the lease, all went to the shredder. Hybrid is OK, it has an engine, burns gas, oil companies like that. That's all! JS
Sure bring on the conspiracy theories, but I would be willing to bet money on the cause for the destruction of the EV1 cars was LAWYERS! I'm sure GM looked at the liability of selling the prototypes and came to the conclusion " no f-ing way", also once you sell a car you need to provide service and parts support for a minimum of 7 years by federal law.
Hybrid cars do not charge their batteries while parked in your garage! I bet a garage full of hydrogen gas can make a really good "boom". I'm sure GM put it in the owners manual and on about 3 stickers on the car but someone would blow up their house, and a jury somewhere would award the victims a few hundred million for their pain and suffering because the big car company should have known better.
wrote:

Thank You, Randy
Remove 333 from email address to reply.
writes:

Part one, yes.
But I'd sure be interested in seeing that federal law about seven years of service and parts...