That's garlic, dude!

So my wife and I are driving down US 101 in sunny California in the middle of last week. We had just come down from Calistoga at the top of Napa Valley, where we had been enjoying wine, mud baths, wine, mineral springs, wine, some great restaurants, and more wine - despite the 110+ degree temps. In fact, when we drove up from Oakland airport, I thought that there must be something wrong with the car's thermometer because it passed 100 and kept climbing (it hit 115=BA by the time we got to the hotel on Sunday afternoon). I mean, jeez, we'd left 95 =BA temps in Conn, thinking we'd get a break.

Anyway, like I was saying, we were driving down 101 toward Carmel for the 2nd part of our trip, and we came around a hill and the both of us noticed a distinct garlic scent in the air that grew stronger by the second. A minute later we passed a sign for Gilroy, and saw dozens of signs for farm stands selling cherries, strawberries, and yes,

*garlic*. Oy!

We passed Gilroy, confident that it would be a long time before we would be attacked by vampires, and my wife was wondering about the smaell when a little thing began tickling the back of my brain, trying to work it's way to the jumbled fore-front of my conciousness. By the time we got to the next exit, it jumped out!

"Gilroy!" I told her, "and Steve's garlic festival!"

I got "the look", so I 'splained to her about steve "garlic dude" saling and the Gilroy garlic fest. I hadn't realized that it was that week, or I'd have turned around to check it out. And on the way back, we went up the Coast road, so we didn't go near Gilroy again.

Gents, I gotta tell ya - Steve is not exaggerating when he talks about the garlic out there. You could - and I mean this quite literally - smell garlic on the air for miles around this town, even at 70 mph through the AC. And a check of the local rags shows that they ahve the strangest stuff, like garlic jelly. Jelly?

Steve, we were wondering, though - I saw dozens of stand selling cherries, but I didn't see much in the way of trees out there. Where do you hide them? I was starting to believe that you were growing them on bushes or something.

BTW, beautiful country out there - so much different from New England. I can see why people want to live there.=20

moT

Reply to
taccuosti

Tom, Glad you enjoyed your visit to Northern/Central California!

As Will Rogers said about Gilroy, "the only town in America where you can marinate a steak just by hanging it out on the clothesline." You must have mis-read the signs for the Garlic Festival, it's going on this weekend:

You can get a feel of the festival by clicking on the live cam in the above link, 4th icon down on the left hand side of the page.

We keep the cherry trees in underground caves so the tourists won't steal them. :)

Actually cherries are the 3rd or 4th largest crop in Santa Clara Valley. There are lots of cherry orchards around, you just have to get off the main road to see them. My youngest daughter worked at a cherry stand for probably 10 years.

The Central Calif. coast is some very nice country. Gilroy is nestled between to coastal mountain ranges. We will get an ocean breeze off the Monterey Bay nearly every night. This helps to moderate the daytime heat. Summer nighttime temps are generally in the mid 50s, with daytime highs in the high 80s to low 90s.

If you take another trip out here I highly recommend taking the coast route, highway 1 south of Carmel to San Luis Obispo. The scenery is breath taking. You can visit San Simeon, William Randolph Hearst's castle, now a state park. San Luis Obispo is a fun town with lots of things to do an see.

If you venture out this way again PLEASE feel free to stop by. Our company isn't listed in the phone book, but our contact stuff is on the webpage. Our door is always open to my friends on AMC, even Cliff. :)

Best, Steve

Reply to
Garlicdude

Ok. So while eating dinner, I turn on the boobtube and ol' Huel Howser is at the Garlic Festival. Low and behold they say Gilroy no longer really grows much garlic, but most garlic is brought here to be crushed and put in jars. Now that would explain the aroma around there. : >

-- Bill

Reply to
Bill

Bill, True, Gilroy doesn't grow as much garlic as it has in the past. We have our Chinese friends to thank again! I believe that more is now being grown than a few years ago because of import controls etc.

Christopher Ranch packs a lot of peeled, chopped and crushed garlic. The smell comes from a large dehydration plant in town. Besides garlic they dehydrate onions and capsicums, peppers, of all sorts.

Best, Steve

Reply to
Garlicdude

Only half guessing here what kinda shit they're probly using for 'fertilizer'...

Imports have gotten to be completely out of control, IMO

Reply to
PrecisionMachinisT

People have told me that they have used human waste as fertilizer in China. Not sure if that's an urban legend, but sounds plausible.

I agree Sam. We'd be in a heck of a pickle if we go to war with the Chinese. Having to phone them for such basics as boots for our soldiers could be disastrous.

Reply to
Garlicdude

Tom:

Too bad about the heat. Out Calif. heat wave for the past couple of weeks is worse than any other time I can remember. The last three days have been more normal, but it's supposed to go back up to triple digits Monday/Tuesday. Sounds like you had a nice time in spite of the heat, you must have been toughened up by surviving all those Connecticut summers.

Reply to
BottleBob

Had Chinese neighbors when I lived in Vancouver off Bella Vista...so saw it with my own eyes I have.

Makes my point.

Reply to
PrecisionMachinisT

The temps will be more normal next week Bob. It'll be sunny and 74F here on Monday and the humidity will be down as well. The effective temperature in Torrance Friday was 98F. That's hot at any time of year.

Reply to
John R. Carroll

We've cooled off considerably here in Garlic Town. Currently 79 degrees. If anyone cares I've installed a weather station in my backyard. Here is the weblink to my station:

If you scroll down the page to the personal weather stations I'm the second one. Listed as 2 miles East of the Outlets. If you click on it you can see a history of the temps in my backyard.

Reply to
Garlicdude

John:

I certainly hope you're right. But my Netscape weather forecast for the Santa Clarita area is for the temp. to be 104° on Monday and 103° on Tuesday. You guys down by the beach have it made!

Reply to
BottleBob

Pretty cool! Sweet Jesus - 116F on the KCAGILR01 history tabulation. WOW. I thought I had it bad.

Reply to
John R. Carroll

Steve:

Well that's pretty darn cool-err neat. How many of those 739 hits since July 1 are yours?

Reply to
BottleBob

Sunday 76°F (24°C) | 68°F (20°C)

Monday 74°F (23°C) | 65°F (18°C)

Tuesday 74°F (23°C) | 64°F (18°C)

Wednesday 74°F (23°C) | 64°F (18°C)

Thursday 74°F (23°C) | 65°F (18°C)

Reply to
John R. Carroll

John:

I need to move to Torrance! LOL

Reply to
BottleBob

Pat would shit a brick, and not a small one. One of those big things they use to make basements out of in places where they have basements. As it is, I lost 5 pounds last week and you have seen me. I really don't have 5 pounds to loose.

Reply to
John R. Carroll

Bob, Probably 738. I sent the link to everyone in my email address book just for giggles.

Interesting to compare the KCAGILR01 station to mine. He's in town and tucked behind some hills, where we are right in the path of the cool air that comes in off Monterey Bay. Four or 5 miles makes a big difference in the high temperature and the rate at which we cool at night.

Best, Steve

Reply to
Garlicdude

John, We were a bit cooler at 113.5 degrees. Anything over a 100 degrees is just plain miserable anyway you look at it. Actually mid 80s is where I like it.

Best, Steve

Reply to
Garlicdude

Bob, Here is the Weather Underground forecast. You might find a personal station close by:

Best, Steve

Reply to
Garlicdude

Now that's strange. Your weather site above shows like 10-20 degree cooler temps. than the Netscape weather forecast. I've found in the past that the Netscape forecasts are fairly accurate for one or two days ahead.

Reply to
BottleBob