OT-A few quotes for our times

A few quotes that may have some relevance to several current threads in these newsgroups.

[ re: "loathing the military" -- A great insight into what historically can be a most dangerous situation] To delight in war is a merit in the soldier, a dangerous quality in the captain, and a positive crime in the statesman. George Santayana (1863-1952), U.S. philosopher, poet. The Life of Reason, "Reason in Society," ch. 3 (1905-6). [an observation proven by 2,000 years of experience which would appear to commend itself to the conservatives...] The sinews of war, a limitless supply of money. Cicero (106-43 B.C.), Roman orator, philosopher. Philippics, Oration 5, sct. 5. [ Another oldie but a goldie -- how long does it take and how many battles must be lost for this to "sink in?"] If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle. Sun Tzu (6th-5th century B.C.), Chinese general. The Art of War, ch. 3, Axiom 18 (c. 490 B.C., ed. by James Clavell, 1981). [ As Grand-dad expressed it -- don't start vast projects with half-vast resources] There is no human failure greater than to launch a profoundly important endeavour and then leave it half done. This is what the West has done with its colonial system. It shook all the societies in the world loose from their old moorings. But it seems indifferent whether or not they reach safe harbour in the end. Barbara Ward (1914-81), British author, educator. The Rich Nations and the Poor Nations, ch. 2 (1962). [ A observation by a master of "real-politk" ] Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think hard before starting a war. Otto Von Bismarck (1815-98), Prussian statesman. Speech, Aug. 1867, Berlin.

{ An observation by another master of "real-politk...."] The conventional army loses if it does not win. The guerrilla wins if he does not lose. Henry Kissinger (b. 1923), U.S. Republican politician, secretary of state. Quoted in: Foreign Affairs (New York, Jan. 1969), on the war in Vietnam.

[ How soon we forget....] Vietnam presumably taught us that the United States could not serve as the world's policeman; it should also have taught us the dangers of trying to be the world's midwife to democracy when the birth is scheduled to take place under conditions of guerrilla war. Jeane Kirkpatrick (b. 1926), U.S. public official. "Dictatorship and Double Standards," in Commentary (New York, Nov. 1979). [ An acute and penetrating observation that is still correct.] There are two things which will always be very difficult for a democratic nation: to start a war and to end it. Alexis de Tocqueville (1805-59), French social philosopher. Democracy in America, vol. 2, pt. 3, ch. 22 (1840). [ He should have paid more attention to what he said, i.e. the Treaty of Versailles, whereby the Allies won the war and lost the peace ....] It is far easier to make war than to make peace. Georges Clemenceau (1841-1929), French statesman. Speech, 14 July 1919, Verdun, France. [ And when the politics is faulty?] War is regarded as nothing but the continuation of politics by other means. Karl Von Clausewitz (1780-1831), Prussian soldier, strategist. On War, Preface (1832). [The more things change, the more things are the same. One of the most dangerous and fatal conditions is when you start to believe your own press releases and propaganda....] How is the world ruled and led to war? Diplomats lie to journalists and believe these lies when they see them in print. Karl Kraus (1874-1936), Austrian satirist. Nachts, ch. 5 (1918; repr. in Half-Truths and One-And-A Half-Truths: Selected Aphorisms, "In this War we are Dealing . . .," ed. by Harry Zohn, 1976). [ The currency of which is the lives and blood of their subjects....] War is the trade of Kings. John Dryden (1631-1700), English poet, dramatist, critic. Arthur, in King Arthur, act 2, sc. 2.

War-making is one of the few activities that people are not supposed to view "realistically"; that is, with an eye to expense and practical outcome. In all-out war, expenditure is all-out, unprudent-war being defined as an emergency in which no sacrifice is excessive. Susan Sontag (b. 1933), U.S. essayist.

If any question why we died, Tell them, because our fathers lied. Rudyard Kipling (1865-1936), British author, poet. Common Form.

Unka George (George McDuffee)

There is something to be said for government by a great aristocracy which has furnished leaders to the nation in peace and war for generations; even a democrat like myself must admit this. But there is absolutely nothing to be said for government by a plutocracy, for government by men very powerful in certain lines and gifted with the "money touch," but with ideals which in their essence are merely those of so many glorified pawnbrokers.

Theodore Roosevelt (1858-1919), U.S. Republican (later Progressive) politician, president. Letter, 15 Nov. 1913.

Reply to
F. George McDuffee

..... and treason in the fearless leader ;)

Reply to
Nick Hull

"Diplomacy is the art of saying Nice Doggie while you look for a rock"

Lazeras Long

president. Letter, 15 Nov. 1913.

"The importance of morality is that people behave themselves even if nobody's watching. There are not enough cops and laws to replace personal morality as a means to produce a civilized society. Indeed, the police and criminal justice system are the last desperate line of defense for a civilized society. Unfortunately, too many of us see police, laws and the criminal justice system as society's first line of defense." --Walter Williams

Reply to
Gunner

================================= A few more quotes, bon mots and zingers that may appeal to readers of this thread:

The newspaper reader says: this party will ruin itself if it makes errors like this. My higher politics says: a party which makes errors like this is already finished-it is no longer secure in its instincts. Friedrich Nietzsche (1844-1900), German philosopher. Twilight of the Idols, "The Four Great Errors," aph. 2 (1889).

I never could believe that Providence had sent a few men into the world, ready booted and spurred to ride, and millions ready saddled and bridled to be ridden. Richard Rumbold (1622-85), English soldier, conspirator. Speech on the scaffold, Edinburgh, 1685. Quoted in: Macaulay, History of England, vol. 1, ch. 5 (1849). Rumbold, one of the guards about the scaffold at the execution of Charles I in 1649, was implicated in the failed rebellion of the Duke of Monmouth, for which both men were executed.

The supreme, the merciless, the destroyer of opposition, the exalted King, the shepherd, the protector of the quarters of the world, the King the word of whose mouth destroys mountains and seas, who by his lordly attack has forced mighty and merciless Kings from the rising of the sun to the setting of the same to acknowledge one supremacy. Ashurnasirpal II, King of Assyria (r. 883-59 B.C.). Cuneiform inscription on alabaster relief from palace at Nimrud (Iraq), now in Bristol City Museum, England.

You say it is the good cause that hallows even war? I tell you: it is the good war that hallows every cause. Friedrich Nietzsche (1844-1900), German philosopher. Thus Spoke Zarathustra, pt. 1, "Of War and Warriors" (1883-92; tr. 1961).

We hear about constitutional rights, free speech and the free press. Every time I hear those words I say to myself, "That man is a Red, that man is a Communist." You never heard a real American talk in that manner. Frank Hague (1876-1956), U.S. politician. Speech, 12 Jan. 1938, to the Jersey City Chamber of Commerce.

For undemocratic reasons and for motives not of State, They arrive at their conclusions-largely inarticulate. Being void of self-expression they confide their views to none; But sometimes in a smoking room, one learns why things were done. Rudyard Kipling (1865-1936), British author, poet. The Puzzler.

The metaphor of the king as the shepherd of his people goes back to ancient Egypt. Perhaps the use of this particular convention is due to the fact that, being stupid, affectionate, gregarious, and easily stampeded, the societies formed by sheep are most like human ones. Northrop Frye (1912-91), Canadian literary critic. Anatomy of Criticism, Third Essay, "Theory of Archetypal Meaning" (1957).

When you're wounded and left on Afghanistan's plains, And the women come out to cut up what remains, Jest roll to your rifle an' blow out your brains An' go to your Gawd like a soldier. Rudyard Kipling (1865-1936), British author, poet. The Young British Soldier.

Picture the prince, such as most of them are today: a man ignorant of the law, well-nigh an enemy to his people's advantage, while intent on his personal convenience, a dedicated voluptary, a hater of learning, freedom and truth, without a thought for the interests of his country, and measuring everything in terms of his own profit and desires. Desiderius Erasmus (c. 1466-1536), Dutch humanist. Praise of Folly, ch. 55 (1509).

And the end of the fight is a tombstone white with the name of the late deceased, And the epitaph drear: "A Fool lies here who tried to hustle the East." Rudyard Kipling (1865-1936), British author, poet. The Naulahka, ch. 5, heading (1892).

And what, in a mean man, I should call folly, Is in your majesty remarkable wisdom. Philip Massinger (1583-1640), English dramatist. Eubulus, advisor to King Ladislaus of Hungary, in The Picture, act 1, sc. 2 (1630).

Princes give me sufficiently if they take nothing from me, and do me much good if they do me no hurt; it is all I require of them. Michel de Montaigne (1533-92), French essayist. Essays, bk. 3, ch. 9, "Of Vanity" (1588; tr. by John Florio).

Kings are not born: they are made by artificial hallucination. George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950), Anglo-Irish playwright, critic. Man and Superman, "Maxims for Revolutionists: Royalty" (1903).

Take up the White Man's burden- Send forth the best ye breed- Go, bind your sons to exile To serve your captives' need. Rudyard Kipling (1865-1936), British author, poet. The White Man's Burden.

Unka George (George McDuffee)

There is something to be said for government by a great aristocracy which has furnished leaders to the nation in peace and war for generations; even a democrat like myself must admit this. But there is absolutely nothing to be said for government by a plutocracy, for government by men very powerful in certain lines and gifted with the "money touch," but with ideals which in their essence are merely those of so many glorified pawnbrokers.

Theodore Roosevelt (1858-1919), U.S. Republican (later Progressive) politician, president. Letter, 15 Nov. 1913.

Reply to
F. George McDuffee

I like em all, and this one the best.

Unka George (George McDuffee)

There is something to be said for government by a great aristocracy which has furnished leaders to the nation in peace and war for generations; even a democrat like myself must admit this. But there is absolutely nothing to be said for government by a plutocracy, for government by men very powerful in certain lines and gifted with the "money touch," but with ideals which in their essence are merely those of so many glorified pawnbrokers.

Theodore Roosevelt (1858-1919), U.S. Republican (later Progressive) politician, president. Letter, 15 Nov. 1913.

Reply to
F. George McDuffee

How sad is it that with the wisdom of avoiding war so well written about by so many sages for 2000 years our leaders are still so ignorant and foolish that they of all people never learned that lesson? Where do we find such men? And what did we do to deserve such fools?

Hawke

Reply to
Hawke

Because sages are different. Sages are not leaders and a leader is not a sage.

As long as you seek 'leaders' you invite corruption and destruction. Seek sages and you will have wisdom.

Whereever you look for leaders, you will find them. They're a dime a dozen. Institutions manufacture them.

You do not seek sages. You seek leaders.

Society worships leaders. It searches for them, entreats them, rewards them. Therefore, it deserves whatever they bring and leaders always bring destruction.

The solution is obvious. The virtuous man does not lust. He has no fear. A virtuous society requires no leaders.

Reply to
Strabo

Life is like a septic tank: The really "big chunks" rise to the top.

Nothing.

-jc-

Reply to
John Chase