Help with Hardinge HLV-H tailstock

The tailstock on my HLV-H has become virtually impossible to move. I've removed the clamping assembly and the gib, so that only the tailstock boy itself remains on the bed, and the thing still moves only with extreme difficulty. Should I be using some special oil for the tailstock bearing? Any other suggestions?

(I guess the previous owner- IBM labs - had a similar problem: they drilled two holes through the body to the bearing surface on the bottom; one hole is fitted with an air coupling, the other is plugged with a screw but is, I assume, intended to provide a path for lubricating oil.)

Thanks!

George

Reply to
George Woodzell

They do tend to sock on down tight, especially if you use way oil and leave them sit for a while. To break them loose, bump with the carriage.

I tend to keep ATF (which is what hardinge says to put in the pump lubricator on the carriage) under the tailstock. But the bearing surface is large and it does still stick if not used for a week or so.

Which IBM laboratory did it come from? T.J. Watson?

Jim

Reply to
jim rozen

I'm not certain which lab used my lathe, but I believe it was in Endicott, New York, if that helps.

Thanks for the suggestion about transmission fluid - I'll give it a try.

Thanks

George

Reply to
George Woodzell

That's what the mfr. specs for the pumper oiler that does the cross slide and carriage. It's already on the ways, I just juice up the tailstock end with a pump oiler now and again.

When I was putting way oil on it, it would lock down *real* tight after a few days if it didn't get used. Come to think of it, I haven't *used* the pump oiler at work that has way oil in it, in a couple of years.

Jim

Reply to
jim rozen

I also use ATF in my HLV-H.

"The importance of morality is that people behave themselves even if nobody's watching. There are not enough cops and laws to replace personal morality as a means to produce a civilized society. Indeed, the police and criminal justice system are the last desperate line of defense for a civilized society. Unfortunately, too many of us see police, laws and the criminal justice system as society's first line of defense." --Walter Williams

Reply to
Gunner