Cutting a slot in carbide

I need to cut a 1/8" by 1/8" +.020"/-0 slot through one side of a 3/4" x

3/4" x 1/4" square carbide insert. Do I need to send this out to an EDM shop?
Reply to
Tom Gardner

That's what I'd do...

Reply to
Wayne Lundberg

Just did this with a diamond wheel mounted in our gearhead drill press (special arbor). Removed a .060" x .060" corner in C-2. Used .010" side steps at full depth. Didn't take long. HTH Doug

Reply to
d.dixson

Can the shape be ground?

Reply to
Polymer Man

It could also be ground with a diamond cut-off wheel.

Check with a commercial / industrial tool & cutter grinder.

You can even do it yourself in a milling machine (or possibly lathe).

You turn up a copper disk and tap in diamond abrasive into the disk's circumference.

Then use as grinding wheel to cut slot.

Wolfgang

Reply to
wfhabicher