Korean missile ?

So, did we shoot that Korean missile down, or was it just crummy engineering? (OT, but some metal was worked in that incident, no matter what caused it. Probably some darn fine metalworking in the thing, too.)

I know we have an "airborne laser" that is under the auspices of the Air Force Research lab. It basically fills most of a 747.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

It was a POS an tumbled shortly into flight.

Reply to
airborne

It well could have been a shoot down

Gunner

"The importance of morality is that people behave themselves even if nobody's watching. There are not enough cops and laws to replace personal morality as a means to produce a civilized society. Indeed, the police and criminal justice system are the last desperate line of defense for a civilized society. Unfortunately, too many of us see police, laws and the criminal justice system as society's first line of defense." --Walter Williams

Reply to
Gunner

Shhhhh

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Possibly because we sold them a bad bunch of bearings for their gyro? ;)

Reply to
Nick Hull

I'm sure the US (and others) lost plenty of prototypes during testing. I'm also sure we have duds during testing & practice. It *is* rocket science, after all ;-).

Reply to
Bob W

KIA, I'd say.

-- Jeff R.

Reply to
Jeff R.

While serving onboard a Navy DEG in the early 70's we fired a live war shot, a Tarter 1 missile(SAA1) It had to be self-destructed after it swapped ends and came back, straight at us!!!! It had already gone back over us(very low) and was turning around again when it blew......Major pucker factor on the bridge......rumered that when it switched from firecontrol rador to it's own guidance it got confused. Total time in air less than 1 min. When they got that fixed it was one wicked killing machine.

ED

Reply to
ED

Why worry? It's really a problem for China or Wal Mart whichever is bigger. What N Korea is doing is uniting our interests in a missile defense system (read "jobs") China is the 800lb gorilla and it's on China's doorstep, if they want the red army to have happy customers for the laogai produced cheap consumer items let them expend what it takes to bring N Korea into line.

J> So, did we shoot that Korean missile down, or was it just

Reply to
bamboo

We ought send one of ours with a dummy warhead to a preannounced spot

50 ft off of their territorial waters.

Wes S

Reply to
clutch

All we need to do to overthrow the NK regime, is to fly big B-52 bombers over NK, loaded with cluster bombs filled with, say, expired canned food from our groceries (expired means they cannot sell it here, but it is perfectly good for North Koreans). After a while of such bombing, the hungry North Koreans will lose all "respect" for their beloved leaders.

Ignoramus12948

Bombing, though, would have a different effect.

Ignoramus12948

They've effectively been doing that for years, with food aid supplied in durable woven bags with American flags on it. Given their economic situation, the bags are not only seen once, but re-used many times.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Yeah - the Wal Mart factor. Isn't Wal Mart the 6th entity in the 6 nation talks?

North Korea: We have a sovereign right to build and test missiles.

China: We vote to avoid sanctions at this time.

Bush: We have US Scuz-seeking missiles aimed at 12,000 US Wal Mart stores.

China: On further thought, North Korea must disarm immediately!

Ed

Reply to
cascadiadesign

The US is the Single largest supplier of food aid to North Korea. As of this date, we feed 1/3 of the North Korean population

I suggest we stop suppling food, and start supplying very inexpensive stamped metal pistols with 7 rds included in the box ala the Liberator pistol, along with a note that there will be no more groceries until KimJungbunhole is gone and the People of NK wish to become a functioning democracy.

Then sit back and wait

Gunner

"The importance of morality is that people behave themselves even if nobody's watching. There are not enough cops and laws to replace personal morality as a means to produce a civilized society. Indeed, the police and criminal justice system are the last desperate line of defense for a civilized society. Unfortunately, too many of us see police, laws and the criminal justice system as society's first line of defense." --Walter Williams

Reply to
Gunner

With Iraq, the US did a dis-servirce to the world when we attacked it. (my opinion)

It would, in fact, be a great help to millions of people if we could accomplish a regime change in starving NK. That is perhaps the saddest country in the world.

Ignoramus12948

That's nice of us. A long term strategy obviously.

Have you seen what those things are going for these days? I've always wanted one, and it seems that I will always be in that state rather than "hey, look what I just bought". If I win the lottery (fat chance; don't buy tickets) it'll be one of my first purchases.

I would submit, friend, that your plan might be modified a bit - include one _with_ the food, rather than _instead of_ the food. Hell, the plans are online (biggerhammer.net I think), and they're probably license-free by now, right? We could probably get 'em made by the millions in China on the cheap. ;)

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Opinon noted.

I see you know little about Africa.

"The importance of morality is that people behave themselves even if nobody's watching. There are not enough cops and laws to replace personal morality as a means to produce a civilized society. Indeed, the police and criminal justice system are the last desperate line of defense for a civilized society. Unfortunately, too many of us see police, laws and the criminal justice system as society's first line of defense." --Walter Williams

Reply to
Gunner

And managers wonder why engineers don't like compressed schedules.

Manager: "Who needs quality testing, you guys are good" Engineers: "We need quality testing, we know just how good we are"

Reply to
Tim Wescott

The missile defense system that is supposed to stop an incoming warhead is not proven and I doubt it can work 100%. Just look at the lack of effectiveness the Patriot AM system had in gulf1, and in the Iraq invasion all it shot down was a British fighter. But the Pentagon gave some near perfect numbers afterwards.

ED

Reply to
ED