Korean War Uniform Question

Heya folks!
Workin' on building a bunch of weapon systems
from the Korean 'Fratricidal War' (that's the name
for it over here in teh RoK) and I'm picking up the
Commonwealth armour kits now.
What helmet did they wear in combat? I've been
doing some googling and not coming up with any
satisfactory pics or info. I would SUSPECT that
it would be the WWII unit with the wide brim, but
I distinctly recall a few episodes of M*A*S*H
werein the limeys wer portrayed with the US tin-
pots.
Knowing that the TV show strove very hard for
as much accuracy as possible, which helmet is
it?
advTHANXance!
-ahill
Reply to
hill4448
Not sure about the helmets, but accuracy? I know of 2 occasions where they mentioned wrong a/c. No, I don't mean subbing a PT-22 for '5 o'clock Charlie' or whatever. The episode where the USO bunch was in town, Potter tells the older chick that he thinks of her every time he sees a C-42 running up. Yeah, they're all over the place. The other is where they're trying to get an incubator I think & the General or Colonel they're talking with mentions among the things he can get is the occasional odd B-52. I guess he knew something the USAF didn't. I know it flew in the early '50s, but I don't think they were quite available during Korea. I think there was another mis-named a/c as well. I dunno how much I'd trust 'em.
Reply to
frank
Hopefully that's sarcasm - M*A*S*H is a poor source for authenticity of US mil in Korea.
You can't go wrong with the MKIII-IV Turtle. Even if the M1 pisspot were correct for Commonwealth (doubtful) or UN/NATO forces in the RoK '50-53, I'd consider a little artistic license here. A Free French soldier marching on Paris in the summer of 1944 will be all but indistingushable from a US dogface in the absence of a Croix De Lorraine or Tricolore to que on.
WmB
Reply to
WmB
If by wide brim, you mean the wide, oval helmet worn in 1940, then no, they wouldn't have those in Korea. A new helmet was designed in 1944, which did not resemble the US M1 helmet. It looks more like the old Dutch helmets from 1940--deeper around the head with a pronounced "tail." It wasn't universally issued during World War Two, but would have been ubiquitous by 1950. Of course, UK troops have often worn soft caps in circumstances where US troop would be wearing helmets. Gerald Owens
Reply to
Gerald Owens
A Google image search on "korean war era us helmet" or "korean war era us soldiers" will yield tons of examples...
Reply to
Rufus
This might help. Australian troops often appear not to wear them, such as here:
These are some I found with Australian troops wearing a helmet:
They did wear the US-style helmet at latter stages of the war, though:
Perhaps because they patrolling the DMZ?
Reply to
Obviousman

Site Timeline