Very OT: Anyone here have knowledge of SUV tires and when they should be replaced ?

got a Mazda Tribute SUV thats 8 yrs old with 26, 500 miles. Original tires. Tread is still good. Truck is in the San Francisco area.

Have been told that I should change them just because of their age. Dry rot was mentioned. Is this for real?

Truck tires are pricey and would rather not replace something I don't really have to do.

thx - Craig

Reply to
Musicman59

Start here:

Jack G.

Reply to
Jack G.

perfect ! thx much for that.. guess I should start saving for them. Wonder if tire shops have replacement temporary tires or will I have to pay full $$$ dealer service price.

Reply to
Musicman59

...in my case, when at least one of them becomes completely, entirely bald, and starts shedding tread on the way up the CA 14...

...and you're on medical leave, about 1-2 months out of the hospital.

Reply to
Rufus

Some personal recommendations -

Tires are one of the most important, if not the most important, safety and performance parts on your car - they provide not only traction for moving your vehicle, but also grip for cornering and stopping, and protection from road hazards (potholes, objects in the road, curbs, etc.). You can almost always do better than the dealer - quality and price wise - by shopping at reputable tire stores. The key is being an informed and educated buyer who knows what your driving needs and requirements are and can make an educated decision based on those needs. Use the internet (starting with Tire Rack) to build up your technical tire knowledge and pricing information and make an informed decision on what and where to buy. I personally have had very good experience with Tire Rack, Discount Tire and Costco in the Seattle area.

Jack G.

perfect ! thx much for that.. guess I should start saving for them. Wonder if tire shops have replacement temporary tires or will I have to pay full $$$ dealer service price.

Reply to
Jack G.

Maybe...

But local gas stations are a better place to look for deals. Sometimes you can find used tires from a local service station for very low prices.

However... Like another poster mentioned tires are one of the most important items in/on your car ! They can be the deciding factor between no accident and a terrible crash.

How much is your life worth ??

I run Michelin's on my Crown Vic, and they really are some of the best. Painful to buy, but in the rain, worth every penny !!

Reply to
AM

Reply to
FalconGuy

FalconGuy wrote the following:

The last two sets of 235/75/15 GY tires for my 97 Nissan pickup were bought at Sam's Club.

Reply to
willshak