Creative uses for replaced bearings?

I have a bunch of old bearings, most are shielded single row bearings, the typical trade sizes from various motors and my lathe. They are in a used, but working, condition, replaced as a precaution, just because they are 30-40 years old, that sort of thing. I would never install them in anything of importance. So, what "other" uses, if any, you have found in old bearings.

Ignoramus5886

Kinetic sculptures.

Reply to
Pete C.

Wash grease out with solvent. Hold inner race between thumb and forefinger. Spin with air hose. Put down in parking lot. Watch it go really far. (make sure there's nothing to hit in the way).

If you do two at once, you can have a "bearing race".

Reply to
rangerssuck

I can assure you that soon after you throw them away, you will find a use for them!

Paul

Reply to
co_farmer

Most bearings are made of 52100 steel. They make one heck of a knife blade. _kevin

Reply to
karchiba

Some smiths were using the races and/or balls for raw material for knives, I've seen some nice pattern-welded blades using race material with nickel sheet.

I use them as anvils for punching out pins or alternatively, for seating new same-size bearings.

Clean them up and give them to the kids. Or let the kids clean them up.

Vise spacers for mill vises for short or thin parts. They're precision ground for width, after all. Or clearance spacers in drill press vises so you don't put any more holes in them when breaking through.

Bust them up and use the balls for slingshot ammo.

Stan

Reply to
stans4

I have seen large bearings used for wheels on carts.

Reply to
Richard W.

Make rotating shelves for the kitchen. "Lazy Susan" might be the term I'm seeking.

If the berrings are very strong, make a rotating toy for the kids to sit and spin. Most kids like sit and spin. Office chairs, for example, very popular.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Muzzle loader ammo? Explosive shrapnel?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

In my well spent youth, I build cannons that normally fired 5/16 ball bearings as that was the size bearing that was normally available around my dad's machine shop.

Reply to
Bill McKee