Korean missile ?

I heard on Rush the other day that the Korean governmnet explains it to their people as 'reparations' for the Korean war that the US sends in tribute.

Wes S

Reply to
clutch

Prolly have to have them made in either Taiwan or Singapore since the PRC wouldn't want the contract.

Reply to
RAM³

What it is doing is getting Japan really interested in helping us with a missle defense (read working).

I think some of the best minds in the US, Japan, and Israel are working on this. Probably Great Britain also.

Wes S

Reply to
clutch

Oh noes! You do realize that by telling people where you heard it, they'll automatically disregard it, even if it's true?

Reply to
Dave Hinz

What you bring up is the difference between "soft" politics and "hard" politics. In N. Korea and many other places you essentially have cult mentality. No amount of bombing, threatening, embargos etc. will change a cult mentality. Those things only serve to cement the resolve of cultists.

Note that the US contains more than it's own share of cutlists who are rah rah government no matter how hypocritically based that rah-rah is nor how many lies are exposed.

Soft politics is very difficult and slow..but you change PEOPLE over time. You can't do soft politics if you hypocritically do such things as "military tribunals" and raids with high levels of "collateral damage". When you say something like the bill of rights is so important to who we are as to be considered "self evident" (yea, a different document), you have to stand by that even when it is not expedient and you don't get to go on TV for a sound bite.

The wise man sets an example which people strive to emmulate..the foolish man tries to make people copy him for their own good.

US politics is currently sorely lacking in wisdom.

Koz

Reply to
Koz

Ed - I don't think you or I could be 100% ourselves if tasked that way. There are far to many variables.

Some of the variables were Democrats: A physical touch was required to be on target. That was Clinton trying to kill ABMs.

The theory of ABM is to get near and take out more than one with a large blast. The blast would spread itself onto and into the incoming and they would crash and burn. A BB would do it - just didn't have a BB gun handy. One of the strategic elements were to have a BB toss - like dumping a bag of marbles on the dance floor - very effective...

The smaller Patriots are meant for Scud type missiles not ICBMs.

Martin

Martin H. Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net NRA LOH & Endowment Member NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member

ED wrote:

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

From the little I've read on the subject the ABM system that was tested a while back was unsuccessful even though the coordinates of the targets were known for each test. My guess is that the NK missles malfunctioned.

Reply to
Mike Henry

The national news as of today has our President taking a more subdued note on the subject--a reality check after the past few years in the hot seat I believe.

Clinton was just another in a long line--that goes way back to the

60's. I remember the anti & anti-anti- missiles of that area that were subject to one of the earlier treaties. Clinton's foreign policy's actions (or inactions) are in good part the reason thing are what they are today..same goes for Bush the 1st.

The brilliant pebbles approach? I think the current technology is the hitting a bullet with a bullet style--no?

Scuds are a crude ballistic vehicle--same basic theory only shorter time frame and distances. Lots of components that have to be perfect.

The problem as I see it in regards to relying on a abm defense is it only take one to get through. The cold war was much simpler in many ways in comparison to what we have going on now...the legacy of Reagan the devil you know might be better than the one you may awaken....

We really need to start testing the neutron device again, I can think of some good uses for it. The best defense is a good offense.

ED

Reply to
ED

Let's also not forget that NK missiles are not at all accurate, to the point where they would not be sure in which US state the missile would fall, if it reached the US at all.

So, good chances are that such missile would not hit anything of importance.

I am not really losing sleep over their missiles. (and would not even if I lived on the West Coast).

Ignoramus12948

Maybe they bought their rocket parts from Harbor Freight

Reply to
Tony

Heh! Isn't that a rather strange way to generate revenue? Where I come from, government spending is considered overhead-----and adds nothing to the wealth of a nation----although I readily admit it does shift the money around. Look at it this way------if we build defense objects long enough with reckless abandon, we, as a nation, could go bankrupt. Sound familiar? Isn't that what happened to the old USSR?

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos

On Fri, 07 Jul 2006 16:08:01 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, Gunner quickly quoth:

One could make the case for doing that in another country, too...

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Fri, 07 Jul 2006 16:29:03 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, Ignoramus12948 quickly quoth:

Africa has her share of corrupt regimes and starving people, too. Remember Somalia? We made no difference there at all.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

FF about 20 years, substitute in "Iraq" for "Somalia."

STill holds true.

Jim

Reply to
jim rozen

Cheney was all for brilliant pebbles, I have a feeling pebbles will be back to deal with bam-bam ;)

Reply to
clutch

Yep - US Intelligence determined the North Korean's secretly obtained the Harbor Freight navigation system shown here:

Ed

Reply to
cascadiadesign

All this said and all I can think of is the Saturn 5 rocket. I mean rocketry at this level is not easy.....DUH !

Consider the size of the Saturn 5 rocket. Consider it was built before the existence of powerful computers. Consider the Americans, with eyes wide open, willing to sit on that bomb.

The planning, the coordination, the craftsmanship, the vision !

I am simply dumbfounded at it....and so PROUD of those Americans !

WOW !

I don't ever want to hear this "cultural equivalence" nonsense. This PC fashion of not being willing to measure things. To condemn common sense.

It's evil. These mere Islamo-fascist can't beat a people like that. No way !

Reply to
Reformation

I can think of several actually.....

Gunner

"If thy pride is sorely vexed when others disparage your offering, be as lamb's wool is to cold rain and the Gore-tex of Odin's raiment is to gullshit in the gale, for thy angst shall vex them not at all. Yea, they shall scorn thee all the more. Rejoice in sharing what you have to share without expectation of adoration, knowing that sharing your treasure does not diminish your treasure but enriches it."

- Onni 1:33

Reply to
Gunner

I'm old enough to remember that we had a lot of "back to the drawing board" incidents back in the

60s when we were starting out in the field. MadDog
Reply to
MadDogR75

somewhere on the (tv) news i heard something about china using north korea as a bargaining chip for taiwan. made me wonder, not only is china not going to intercede with north korea on our behalf but i wondered if china is actually encouraging or possibly even assisting north korea's missile program. no "cites", just wondering. seems to me it would be to china's benefit for north korea to be as big a PITA to us as possible for leverage with taiwan. reminds me of the criticism kennedy faced after the cuban missile crisis in removing our missiles from turkey.

b.w.

(i've been trying to resist the urge to post here on political topics... but i'm a loser with no social life and this is my only social contact.)

Reply to
William Wixon