Company bans homeschooled workers

'Discriminatory practice reflects a narrow-minded and statist view of education'
Published: 10 hours ago
An Indiana-based company has decided not to hire any homeschool graduates, withdrawing a job offer from one candidate after discovering he was home educated, according to the Home School Legal Defense Association.
homeschool students routinely run higher than for public-school students.
HSLDA spokesman Michael Donnelly said NiSource, an energy-distribution company, informed HSLDA it would not hire homeschool graduates.
3313 of the Ohio Revised Code.
Donnelly, argued, however, that the section applies to public and chartered private schools, not homeschools.
experienced applicant who received a legally recognized education is
He explained that HSLDA got involved when the company, after having initially offered a job to the applicant, whose name was being withheld, withdrew the offer.
The organization wrote letters to the company explaining the benefits and validity of homeschooling, without results.
law, this applicant had years of relevant job experience and several key industry certifications. During his last two years of high school the applicant took seven courses at a recognized state college and
Donnelly said HSLDA has been working with homeschool advocates in Ohio
state-issued credential will be discriminated against in employment
He said HSLDA opposes Common Core because it creates a system based on nationalized standards, assessment and data collection that could negatively affect homeschool graduates and job seekers.
qualifications, not a policy that discriminates against an entire
their own hiring policies, which may include evaluating the academic
and statist view of education that is inconsistent with the values of
NiSource declined to respond to a WND request for comment.
Home-school.com notes that in public schools, the average scores for reading, language and math is at 50 percent.
But homeschoolers score in the 89 percentile in reading, 84th in language, 84th in math and 86th in science.
As college freshman, they carry a grade point average of 3.41, compared to the 3.12 for other students. As seniors, they outscore others 3.46 to 3.16.
According to the National Home Education Research Institute,
far it indicates that they: participate in local community service more frequently than does the general population, vote and attend public meetings more frequently than the general population, and go to and succeed at college at an equal or higher rate than the general
Pennsylvania, homeschooled students on the state standardized test scored in the 89th percentile for reading, 87th for science and 81st for social studies.
Departments of Education, which are generally biased toward the public school system, cannot argue with these facts. Not only does homeschooling work, but it works without the myriad of state controls
--

"

that he favored total civilian firearms confiscation.
Gunner Asch wrote:

They should have banned homeschooling long time ago. How can you teach your kids algebra, trigonometry, and calculus when you cannot solve a simple mathematical equation yourself?
The USA has become a land of fools because dumb-arse GOP idiots are teaching their own kids at home.
How can you expect the USA to compete in science and technology when the country is full of right-wing idiots like you? Homeschooling should be a criminal offence.
On Tue, 06 May 2014 12:07:28 -0400, Mighty Wannabe

You may not have the skills needed, but don't clothe others with your limits.
We didn't homeschool because the local public schools where we were were very good.
When my oldest daughter was in college (GA Tech - Masters in Industrial Engineering) I could still help her with her homework when she asked.
Not every person who homeschools has all the skills/knowledge needed for every subject (which is one reason homeschoolers get with other homeschoolers), but the same is true of some public educators.
Would you rather have a student educated by a parent who graduated with honors or a teacher who was number 287 in a class of 287?
snipped-for-privacy@wizardanswers.com wrote:

You are the exception rather than the rule. Look around your own neighbourhood and judge how many parents can competently do high school math.

Teaching is a profession. Teachers are certified in the subjects they teach. They cannot be worse than a hillbilly who was also homeschooled by another hillbilly.

Would you like your car serviced by someone who was homeschooled by someone who was also homeschooled and does not know how to use a wrench?
On 5/6/2014 11:07 AM, Mighty Wannabe wrote:

Sure there are worse people. Would you want your child indoctrinated by an illegal alien while outnumbered by foreign children who speak another language?
http://www.9news.com/story/news/education/2014/04/10/dps-undocumented-immigrants-teachers/7549533/

Check this out:
http://news.yahoo.com/beautiful-mind-brain-injury-turns-man-math-genius-124815192.html
In 2002, two men savagely attacked Jason Padgett outside a karaoke bar, leaving him with a severe concussion and post-traumatic stress disorder. But the incident also turned Padgett into a mathematical genius who sees the world through the lens of geometry.
Padgett, a furniture salesman from Tacoma, Washington, who had very little interest in academics, developed the ability to visualize complex mathematical objects and physics concepts intuitively. The injury, while devastating, seems to have unlocked part of his brain that makes everything in his world appear to have a mathematical structure.
"I see shapes and angles everywhere in real life" ? from the geometry of a rainbow, to the fractals in water spiraling down a drain, Padgett told Live Science. "It's just really beautiful." [Album: The World's Most Beautiful Equations]
Padgett, who just published a memoir with Maureen Seaberg called "Struck by Genius" (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, 2014), is one of a rare set of individuals with acquired savant syndrome, in which a normal person develops prodigious abilities after a severe injury or disease. Other people <snip>
--
?As things stand, the banks are the permanent government of the country,
whichever party is in power.? ? Lord Skidelsky, House of Lords, UK
On 5/6/2014 11:31 AM, Steve from Colorado wrote:

What an incredible story!
On 5/6/2014 12:07 PM, Mighty Wannabe wrote:

ALL the kids on one side of my family, amounting to dozens, are all home schooled. One graduated with an engineering degree at age 18, another was accepted to a service academy. All are successful and doing well, personally, socially and professionally.
If the necessary instructional knowledge base isn't available within the family or among friends, outside and online resources are available. Between us, my wife and I have seven college degrees. Advanced degrees and/or professional experience in science, engineering and medicine are plentiful among the family. They also operate farms and small businesses, in which the kids participate.
Planned curricula and resources for every subject are available, as is the same academic achievement testing used in public schools. Athletics and social opportunities are available through churches and community organizations.
On the public school side of my family, the kids are doing equally well. But I remember, at a family get-together, hearing some of the then-kids comparing what they were reading, one was "Harry Potter" and the other was a classic, I forget which one, in the original Greek.
Yeah, home schooling by dopes usually results in mis-educated or undereducated progeny, and it's not something I'd recommend tackling without a good and broad support network. But it can be incredibly liberating for young minds to be wisely and individually guided in their education, and it can help build stronger young minds, characters and families.
--
?The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in
moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification
Jeff M wrote:

Your family is a rare example. Most parents cannot teach their kids high school math because mathematics is more complicated and taught a few grades earlier than a few decades ago.
Homeschooling is not that common in Canada, but I came across a female colleague who was homeschooling her two kids until grade 9.
She didn't know how to solve a simple 2-variable algebraic and I had to teach her how to do it so that she could teach her kids.
Her two kids went back to public school and then went on to university to study some arts degree. With a lousy homeschooling math background, no way her kids could get into the Faculty of Science.
On 5/7/2014 12:06 AM, Mighty Wannabe wrote:

My sister is a teacher My brother is a Professor, my in-laws are Special education teachers,
My wife was a teacher, and while they are all "qualified and certified"
I would still Home school my kids even if they had to get online for a calculus class from any one of them or from the local college or even if I paid a college kid from the Math Department to teach what I can't.
With computers and Twitter and I/M over the internet and e-mails... I would think most kids could find someone willing to spend a few minutes, and they might even have 4 or 5 or 6 someones that they can use to teach them the calculus.
My Nephew in College always has questions for my brother the Professor...

I sat at the kitchen table when my son was in 4th grade and would get him to solve simple equations.
I had Math teachers that were idiots and couldn't teach worth a shit, finally I hit one that was good at teaching and I learned it. After that college... and life.

The world needs dancers and Philosophers too. And as I recall Einstein didn't do well in schools and clerked in a patent office.
He had the ability to conceive of formulas for nuclear reaction and gravity and time and space, and yet he was pigeonholed by a crappy school performance.
BeamMeUpScotty wrote:

You are talking about exceptions again.
Both Steve Jobs and Bill Gates didn't graduate from college too, but how many centuries do you have to wait for another Einstein, Steve Jobs and Bill Gates to come along from a land full of homeschooled idiots?
On 5/7/2014 12:26 AM, Mighty Wannabe wrote:

Full?
As in 3%?
http://nces.ed.gov/fastfacts/display.asp?id
Approximately 3 percent of the school-age population was homeschooled in the 2011?12 school year.
Lol.
Keep stroking, you may wet your palms yet...
Mayan Stonebird wrote:

Those 3% will be scarred for life. They will become reclusive social outcasts.
On 5/7/2014 9:19 PM, Mighty Wannabe wrote:

Fuck off canuck trash.
Mayan Stonebird wrote:

Those 3% will be scarred for life. They will become reclusive social outcasts just like you.
On 5/8/2014 1:45 AM, Mighty Wannabe wrote:

Like all of Canuckistan?
Mighty Wannabe wrote:

Actually, I briefly taught junior high math and science with no certification. I didn't have a clue what I was doing and bailed out before I did any lasting damage. The theory was wuth a BS from an engineering college I knew the material and could pick up the certification easily. Hopefully things are better today.

If teachers are professionals, why is all their core curriculum coming from bureaucrats and politicians in Washington D.C. ?
The "Professionals" get certified and then have to follow a regimented script to uniformly indoctrinate kids rather than TEACHING THEM.
BeamMeUpScotty wrote:

I did have a philosophical problem teaching the sexagesimal system to kids who were destined to be flipping burgers. What they really needed was to learn how to make change in the decimal system, but the syllabus was the syllabus.
On 5/7/2014 1:24 AM, rbowman wrote:

Divide the class into two sections one you teach what they need to flip burgers(how many ounces are in a pound of Marijuana) and the others you teach rocket science so they can do their taxes.
BeamMeUpScotty wrote:

The classes were actually divided into 4, using homogenous grouping, A, B, C, D. The '60s were not kinder and gentler; D stood for Dumb, C for See if they can rise above their breeding. A's were college bound, and B's junior college or a skilled trade. By decree, the same syllabus was applied to all.
Bush's signature NCLB was the same crap. Some kids are ineducable and it's best to realize that fact and try to teach them something that may be of some use in their lives. But that doesn't work to keep the NCLB numbers up there. After giving it a try, the head of our state education department told the Feds to put the NCLB up their ass. If they wanted, she could send them a few Blackfeet and they could see if they could teach them something.