Company bans homeschooled workers

BeamMeUpScotty wrote:

So you advocate a math teacher should be teaching rapping or break-dancing in the classroom?
On 5/7/2014 12:45 AM, Mighty Wannabe wrote:

Tawdry little straw man - can you not build better?

I advocate the local school district fire incompetent teachers.
BeamMeUpScotty wrote:

No can do. They're one of the few trades left that have a real union.
On 5/7/2014 10:42 PM, rbowman wrote:

I"m more concerned with the folks in DC dictating the curriculum and teaching materials and techniques and all that.
I'd rather have a moron with a Duffy Reader in class than a PhD with Common Core.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
Gunner Asch wrote:

The US population is getting stupider and stupider because too many GOP idiots are homeschooling their kids. GOP homeschool stupidity is permeating the land. Remember Bush was rallying the Arab countries to join his "crusade"? Remember Bush could not pronounce "nuclear" but he held the secret launch-code of all the nuclear weapons? Bush was definitely homeschooled.
Mighty Wannabe wrote:

The US population is getting stupider because the gene pool needs a super- sized dose of pool shock.
On 5/7/2014 10:15 AM, rbowman wrote:

That was the *GENETIC REVOLUTION* from the sexual revolution and integration.
How did it work?
Babies and sex with anyone and everyone.... I'm all for it but it didn't seem to solve any perceived genetic doughnut hole. So it looks as if that's the wrong tree to go barking up. No cure for stupid in that pill.
Gunner Asch wrote:

http://media.y8.com/system/contents/13365/original/Falling_Obama.swf
have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
On Wed, 07 May 2014 03:12:24 -0400, Mighty Wannabe wrote:

Neither could Jimmy Carter and he was a nuclear engineer. Apparently with pretty darn good credentials.
On 5/7/2014 1:12 AM, Mighty Wannabe wrote:

With a 3% market share?
Seriously?
http://nces.ed.gov/fastfacts/display.asp?id
Approximately 3 percent of the school-age population was homeschooled in the 2011?12 school year.

Deflect off topic a lot?

Did you decide to be wrong about everything today?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_W._Bush Education
Bush attended public schools in Midland, Texas, until the family moved to Houston after he completed seventh grade. He then went to The Kinkaid School, a prep school in Houston, for two years.[26]
Bush finished high school at Phillips Academy, a boarding school (then all-male) in Andover, Massachusetts, where he played baseball and during his senior year was the head cheerleader.[27][28] Bush attended Yale University from 1964 to 1968, graduating with an B.A. in history.[29] During this time, he was a cheerleader and a member of the Delta Kappa Epsilon, being elected the fraternity's president during his senior year.[30][31][32] Bush also became a member of the Skull and Bones society as a senior.[33] Bush was a rugby union player and was on Yale's 1st XV.[34] He characterized himself as an average student.[35] His average during his first three years at Yale was 77 and he had a similar average under a nonnumeric rating system in his final year.[36]
Beginning in the fall of 1973, Bush attended the Harvard Business School, where he earned a Master of Business Administration. He is the only U.S. President to have earned an M.B.A.[
rbowman wrote:

I believe when you got your Engineering degree you were still using slide rules. Math was a lot easier in those days.
I remember back in the 1980s the math professors in UBC (Vancouver, Canada) all had heavy British or Russian accent, and they were all teaching the classes with the draft notes from their own mathematics textbooks still in the process of authoring.
Mighty Wannabe wrote:

Last time I looked, differential equations were still differential equations, physics still worked the same. Hamiltonians and LaPlace transforms haven't changed radically. The only difference now is you don't have to write the partial product to tape when dong a FFT because the 360/30 had less memory than a coffee maker.
You're confusing mathematics with technology.
On 5/7/2014 1:20 AM, rbowman wrote:

But economics is changing, and there are a few other thngs that have newer concepts and plenty of new equations and probability theories....

You can now estimate how many hamburgers a person will buy at your fast food restaurant and I don't know if my Dad could do that with his older economics education.
BeamMeUpScotty wrote:

Economics is alway changing since it's bullshit to begin with.

I can't remember if Samuelson treated hamburgers in 'Economics'. He talked about guns and butter, favoring butter. His nephew, Larry Summers, drank deeply from the family well. Of course Summers would go broke trying to sell hamburgers, and almost destroyed the US economy with the half-assed acts he persuaded Clinton to sign.
If you think economics is a science, take a look around you.
On 5/7/2014 10:04 AM, rbowman wrote:

Yes it's a pseudo science.... a study of probability NOT facts.
I agree.

I say economics is NOT science but then calculus is going in the same direction isn't it?
More theoretical formulas that predict rather than solve for an answer.
Chaos theory and others like that.
*chaos theory* n 1. (Mathematics) a theory, applied in various branches of science, that apparently random phenomena have underlying order
BeamMeUpScotty wrote:

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/the-secret-spiritual-history-of- calculus/
Integral calculus is the work of the Devil. Philosophically, I do not think mathematics is real.
rbowman wrote:

No.
Do you know Newton invented calculus?
Do you know Laplace invented Laplace transform?
Why do you think the math you learned in 1964 is all there is to know?
My math professors in the 1980s had to write their own textbooks to keep up.
Mighty Wannabe wrote:

They write their own textbooks to keep up with their mortgage payments. For example, the calculus text we used was by Abraham Schwarz and was fairly standard in universities. The book is out of print and a text by Spivak seems to be a current favorite. Do you think calculus has changed?
Sure, Ken Ono built on Ramanujan's and Euler's work with partition numbers for one instance so mathematicians are still chewing away on classic problems but unless you were a mathematics major at a good university I doubt that's why your professors were writing. They may have felt they had a better explanatory approach or were just dumbing down the material to match the quality of the students.
rbowman wrote:

You still don't understand new knowledge has to be incorporated into the textbook. Do you think the calculus textbook you used in 1964 is all there is to it in calculus? What the hell do you think all the mathematicians having those symposium for?
All cars have steering wheel, engine and 4 tyres. Today's cars have a lot more to it than the ones in 1964.