cleaning bottle

I recently saw at the local airport a bottle filled with ?Windex? that had a long neck that trhe owner had placed a paper towel roll on. Looked like a neat way to have both available. Does anyone in the group know who sells these long neck spray bottles?

Tnx, Mark

Reply to
Mark Tetrault

Try Walmart, Target, etc. Even the dollar stores occasionally.

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

Walmart's has those kind of things once in a while, sometimes places that sell farm equipment will have them. That said, if somebody tried to use that on my Cessna I'd break their arms. There are 2 no-no's here, first is the Windex, crazes the windshield, and second is the paper towels, it scratches the windshield.

It's sad that pilots are not aware of how to take care of their plane. For a model plane it's fine since most won't survive long enough to notice the plastic film deteriorate, but it does. You'll notice the sheen go away over time, that's due to the cleanings.

Reply to
Matthew P. Cummings

OK, having said that what is the correct cleaning aids to use on Monocote/Balsa planes with plastic trim parts?

Reply to
Mark Tetrault

Got mine at my LHS a while back.

Reply to
Fubar of The HillPeople

Local Hobby Shop

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

Reply to
David B. Thomas Jr.

Mark, Most everyone uses windex or one of the other spray on wipe off cleaners. If you are concerned about the harshness just dilute by 30 - 50 % it will still clean the plane. Some of the old timers at our club have some pretty old planes that I see them cleaning with Windex, that includes fabric covered models. I am not claiming expert status by any means, just reporting my observations. Have fun and don't sweat the small stuff. Charlie

Reply to
Charlie

Marc's has them for $3. The local hobby about $10.

Reply to
Normen Strobel

Marc's ??

Reply to
Mark Tetrault

I have been using Windex and Paper towels for 3 years now. The windshields and the film are still good, and amazingly the plane still flies. You must be rubbing too hard. :)

Reply to
Normen Strobel

Not really. It's a known fact scientifically proven that the ingredients in those cleaners cause surface crazing. Specifically the alcohol and ammonia cause it.

If you're concerned about it, don't use cleaners that have them in it, but for models you don't see it as easily because you're looking at it, not through it.

After 5 - 10 years it's noticeable in a slight dulling of the surface, it's not a lot. It's also more brittle.

I was pointing out this guy saw that at an airport, a place that most pilots know of the ill effects of using cleaners like this, and most will not use it. I wasn't saying not to use it on a model, I use it all the time and for the most part it doesn't bother the finish enough to make me stop. But, it will NEVER be used on my plane, and if I catch a lineboy trying to do so that will be the last time he does it.

Reply to
Matthew P. Cummings

So what *do* you use on your full size plane ?

Reply to
Boo

Kind of like Walmart, but has a lot of discount, over production items.

Reply to
Normen Strobel

">

So, now that we covered what NOT to do and why... What is a good way to clean our planes? I am new and hungry for knowlege.

Thanks, Have fun, Karl.

Reply to
Karl

I use plain water. I spray it with water, wait until the bugs soften up and then using my hand I gently brush them off. When their gone I take a baby diaper and go over it drying it. If needed I'll use Lemon Pledge on the windshield.

My windshield is kept waxed all the time so it's easy to clean off in this manner.

If you ever have to replace a windshield on a plane you'll understand why I'm particular, it's a VERY EXPENSIVE thing to do, and I done it last year so I know for a fact how expensive it gets.

Reply to
Matthew P. Cummings

A mix of dishwashing liquid and water, and soft cotton/polyester (t-shirt)

Reply to
Morgans

For a real plane that works well, Dawn is my favorite. For models I use a mixture of Dawn, water, Alcohol, and Ammonia. There's a recipe floating around on google for the mixture.

Reply to
Matthew P. Cummings

I wipe off the grease with a shop towel and then finish wiping the plane off with one of those Scotchbrite cleaning cloths. Gets all the goo off, and it's reusable. When mine get too greasy, I just wash 'em and they're good to go again!.

Reply to
Morris Lee

In the 60's on the recommendation of the FBO we used a mix of kerosene and water. Yep, shake well as you spray it on the plexiglass.

I did not know until now that the cleaners caused plexiglass to glase over.

Dan Thompson (AMA 32873, EAA 60974, WB4GUK, GROL) remove POST in address for email

Reply to
Dan Thompson