Macinery Moving Jacks

Does anyone know if this was ever written up?
If so, please supply the link to the writeup.
Thanks
TMT
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.crafts.metalworking/browse_frm/thread/69c9a6cbf26e0014/38b36c24aec36d71?q=pallet+jack&rnum=6#38b36c24aec36d71
I made a pair of hydraulic lifters that can lift up to 8,000 lbs and can roll the mill anywhere you want on a flat floor. They only cost as much as some steel tubing, 4 solid steel 5 inch casters and 2 hydraulic bottle jacks in the 6 ton range. I planned on writing them up for the webmetal news with pictures. I needed them to extract a mill and lathe from under a house in Oakland CA. They took about 4 hours to make and worked like a charm. I don't know if anybody ever made these for sale, but back when I was an apprentice machinist at Purdue University's central machine shop, the bull gang used something similar to move half the machine tools over one weekend. I tried to remeber what they looked like 15 years ago and came up with a really neat moving tool. Basicly they consist of a steel frame about 2'x3' with an angle iron foot on the 2' side. The frame slides up and down on another frame with 2 solid steel swivel casters, and a 6 tone bottle jack. The angle iron is slid under the edge of the machine, and when the bottle jack is pumped it lifts the frame off the ground. One of these lifters is placed on each end of the machine tool. A webbing ratchet strap is used to strap them together. Once you pump each end up an inch or so the machine just rolls around as easy as can be. It is important that the frames remain vertical or it will roll rather odd. I used them to roll 2 machines of about 1 ton each out from under a house, across a back yard, up a driveway and onto the lift gate of a flat bed truck. I'll try to get the article together for the web page. Hopefully sometime next month.
-- Best of luck
********************************************************************* Ernie Leimkuhler STAGESMITH PRODUCTIONS Custom Metal Fabrication ABANA AWS SCA IATSE Local 15/488 Renton, Washington, USA ********************************************************************* "So it was that four hours later, carrying two hundred cigarettes, completely drunk and with a half-naked, unmarried Filipino lady, I emerged, behind the writing desk in the Headmaster's studysimultaneously breaking a hundred and twenty-seven school rules. The Chaplain, now seventy-four and impatient to get his Archbishopric, had finished the tunnel just a hundred yards too early." - " Tomkinson's Schooldays " by Michael Palin & Terry Jones
http://www.knox-tenn.com/images/rollalift.htm
Too_Many_Tools wrote:

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.crafts.metalworking/browse_frm/thread/69c9a6cbf26e0014/38b36c24aec36d71?q=pallet+jack&rnum=6#38b36c24aec36d71
Thanks for the link...this is what I thought he might be building but it sounded like his construction was simpler.
TMT
Also check this out if you haven't already:
http://www.dogpatch.com/bobp/shop/mover.htm
I plan to build a pair this summer.

That sounds like a rol-a-lift: <http://www.rolalift.com
I can move a 1000 pound machine with one hand.