decisions

Which is a better beginner's trainer Senior telemaster Kadet senior

Mark

Reply to
Mark Tetrault

Depends on whether you want kit or ARF. The Telemaster is supposed to be a fairly labor intensive kit to build (lotsa sticks!) but a great flyer. Havent built that one or the Kadet Senior kit but I do have a Kadet Senior ARF carrying video gear and it is a great flyer. A lot of dudes put .60 sized 2 strokes on the Kadet Senior ARF but a decent .40 is plenty of power. Probably fly fine with a sleeve bearing .46 such as the OS .46LA. Mine is powered by an Super Tigre .51 and is actually over powered even with the added weight of the video system and extra battery packs. A Saito .56 is also plenty of 4 stroke power for the plane. So, dont know which is better but the Kadet Senior is a good trainer.

Reply to
Fubar of The HillPeople

I built a Kadet Senior with ailerons and in taildragger config. Beautiful flier. Capable of flying very slow. I built it mainly to get my kids started, but find that I really like to fly it.

John VB

Reply to
jjvb

Both are excellent. They're both big, slow floaters.

Morris

Reply to
Morris Lee

Both are good but have you also considered the Kadet LT40? It along with an OS46 or TT46 make just about the best trainer going today. IMHO, students learn faster with this combo than any other that I have used/seen. Gord Schindler MAAC6694

Reply to
Gord Schindler

Having flown both, I prefer the Kadet Senior. I haven't flown the ARF version but I have trained several people on the stick built 3 channel model. It is a blast to fly. Not really very aerobatic but great for lifting things and low, slow flying and general knocking around the sky. Used to see who could take off in the shortest distance, spot land, and we even caught the thing in mid air once. (Engine off BTW). :)

The Senior Telemaster is also a good flyer but isn't as fun to fly as the Kadet IMHO. However, the student will need to learn coordinated rudder and aileron to make decent looking turns and the like. It flys very much like a full scale AC. It does take at least a 50 to fly well so the larger plant will cost more to run.

As for the LT-40, I have one but I still prefer the 3 channel Senior. The LT-40 is good but I think the Senior is better. I trained my son to fly on the LT but I find its landing characteristics a bit squirrely in any kind of wind. It also flys and lands faster than the Senior. I haven't had nearly as much fun with it as the Senior.

Fubar is correct in saying that a bushed 40 will fly the Senior just fine. You don't need a 60 for it. I used to fly my dads Senior at about 1/4 throttle and 3 feet off the ground just for fun with a Fox 40 in it. I wouldn't even attempt that from anything else I've flown including the Telemaster.

In case you can't tell, I like the Kadet Senior alot.

Just my .02.

Jim W

Reply to
Black Cloud

Reply to
Rumprider

As a trainer, I would suggest the Kadet Senior over the Telemaster. The Kadet series (all sizes) have been some of the greatest trainers around for decades. Once you have learned to fly, there all sorts of neat things the Kadet can be made to do and do well.

Reply to
Six_O'Clock_High

Alpha .40 /w TT Pro .4

-- highfly6

----------------------------------------------------------------------- highfly68's Profile:

this thread:

highfly68

They are BOTH the two best choices for learning to fly RC. You can get either one as an ARF or as a kit, and the kits (I would highly recommend learning to build now rather than later) both come with extensive building manuals that take you through every step of the way. My personal preference is the Telemaster, but you won't go wrong either way.

MJC

Reply to
MJC

Near as I can tell, the Kadet responds better to the typical bank-n-yank flying a rank beginner does. The Telemasters I've flown don't respond immediately or smoothly to control inputs unless you use just the right combination of rudder and elevator. New pilots have enough trouble with one stick, let alone coordinating two, and trying to fly a plane that doesn't respond smoothly and immediately to control inputs is disconcerting.

Reply to
Mathew Kirsch

SUPERSTAR

highfly68 wrote: