Diesel Engine fuel - Canada

I am having problems locating a source of Cetane diesel fuel additive suitable for model diesel engine fuels. Can anyone point me to a source in Canada? I live in Kelowna, BC. Failing that does anyone have a source of model diesel fuel in Canda?

Reply to
Rod

When I was a kid, some 50 years ago, we mixed our own diesel - if I remember correctly the local chemist used to sell the main ingredient - not sure but is it chloroform? or something like that. Oh well , the memory is going I guess

David

Rod wrote:

View this thread:

quietguy

IIRC 50% kerosene, 30% ether, and 20% castor oil.

And a little Amyl Nitrate...available from your local gay drug dealer these days allegedly :D

>View this thread:

The Natural Philosopher

Many years ago, following an article in Aeromodeller, I successfully ran diesel engines on a mixture of kerosene and modified rape seed oil with the addition of one or two percent Isopropyl Nitrate. If you wish, I'll dig out the relevant information.

Compression needs to be a bit higher than with conventional fuel containing ether and the exhaust residue is black and gooey.

The disadvantage is that starting from cold is harder than with conventional fuel and a prime of such helps.

I sometimes resorted to the use of an electric starter with the compression backed off and then gradually increasing until the engine fired. Of course one had to be careful not to overdo the compression increase if this method was adopted.

The "plus" side is that it does work, is cheap, and seems to give an increase in power output - there is more kerosene which is the constituent which gives the power.

Malcolm.

Reply to
Malcolm Fisher

od,

Paul Dranfield runs a C/L diesel combat group in BC. See:

If you contact him he should be able to help. The modern equivalent of Amyl Nitrate is Iso Propyl Nitrate which can sometimes be obtained from chemical suppliers. Here in Australia it is becoming very difficult to obtain, and it's probably the same in Canada. Otherwise Diesel Ignition Improver (DII) used in full size diesels is also used. I believe that the Ethyl Corporation actually makes it in Canada. Henry Nelson (in the USA) is often quoted as a source! I guess that Paul will be able to put you right!

Good Luck,

regards Ray : I am having problems locating a source of Cetane diesel fuel additive : suitable for model diesel engine fuels. Can anyone point me to a source : in Canada? I live in Kelowna, BC. : Failing that does anyone have a source of model diesel fuel in Canda? : : : -- : Rod : : : ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Rod's Profile:

:

Reply to
Fairall R G

In the 60's I ran various diesels - the mix was roughly one third each of ether, kerosene and mineral oil, with 1-3% amyl nitrate. But someone correct me if my memory is wrong. More ether helped starting, more kero more power.

Of course in the 60's and with a note from my Mother ( I was 13 !) I could get the ether and nitrate from the local pharmacy - but not these days I guess. Not sure what the cold weather `instant start' aerosol cans for car engines contains these days - probably some sort of ether.

I'm not sure if the kero (or lamp oil ?) was that critcal re cetane value given the slug of ether.

Regards

CW

Reply to
C W

If you can find a John Deere dealer, their brand of starting fluid contains more ether than most of the others.

Morris

Reply to
Morris Lee

You can easily mix it yourself.Agood start is:

33percent Ether 33Percent Diesel fuel(as used in cars,lorries etc) 33 Percent Castor Oil(preferably as used by motor bike racers) Only the ether may be difficult to get. Unfortunately these days its easier to get Crack cocaine and simila drugs than to get Ether. Unless you want out and out performance you dont need amyl nitrate o other additives 0ldphar

-- oldphar

this thread:

oldphart