Electric flight with RC car motors ...

Hi, I noticed that the RC car field has quite a few 23x1 and 27x1 motors at very low prices ($15-20). These motors even have dual ball bearings and a drive shaft "flat" that I like instead of the round shaft of the Graupner Speed series of RC plane motors).

Does any one know what the speed constant of these motors are with near neutal timing? For some reason, unlike RC plane motor mfgs, the mfg's of RC car motors NEVER publish specs.

I know a typical 27x1 class car motor gets about 24000 rpm/volt with

24 deg. of timing advance, but I have no idea how to calculate the rpm with 0 deg timing. I would like to find a car motor with a speed constant of around 3000 rpm/volt (similiar to a Graupner Speed 600 BB (#6311))

Thanks! Elm

Reply to
elmgrove1765

Elm- They have been popular for Eflight for years, and still are in wide use thought the lustre is now on brushless. Motor constants for many of them are included in the MotoCalc database. You can download it free for a 30 day trial. AFAIK, the timing advance isn't much if any influence on the kV constant, but I could be off on that. Prolly what you really need to know regarding timing is that few of the buggy motors are set up for reverse rotation, which is important if you will be using an offset gearbox as most do. One of the most popular motors has been the Kyosho Magnetic Mayhem, a long can motor available with forward or reverse rotation, and cheap. Of course motors with adjustable timing can be and are used, but they are generally above the cost range you mentioned.

Abel

Reply to
Abel Pranger

Try the Magnetic Mayhem or Magnetic Montser from Kyosho. They are both 22 turn motors and if my memory serves me right is about 2800-3000 rpm/volt.

Michael

Reply to
Michael Michailidis

Motocalc says....................

Magnetic Mayhem--2260rpm per volt

Endoplasma--3785

Atomic Force--3531

remove my-wife to reply :-)

Reply to
Icrashrc

Hi, Thanks for all the replies. I am aware of the Motocalc database (they did not list the motors I was looking for). The Kyosho Magnetic Mayhem has a speed constant of only about 2260 rpm/volt (too low), plus it uses bushings and not ball bearings.

Reply to
elmgrove1765

My plane takes off with a crapy 7 year old 19single and 6 cells. using a 7*4.5" folding prop.

With a directdrive a 17 turn would be the max . If you use a gearbox a 14x2 can give you vertical acceleration and hovering. using the right prop.

TM

Reply to
dingo