Free electric motors

Hi folks,

I have a bunch of electric motors sitting in the shed doing not enough. I seem to collect motors at a much greater rate than I use them, so I need to prune my collection somewhat. The following are free to anyone who has a constructive use for them and can pick them up from Edgmond Common, postcode TF10 8ES. Or I can post them to you at cost. With packing materials this would probably be about £15 per motor (PayPal preferred):

  • GEC 3 hp at 2850 rpm three phase induction motor. Flange mount. Appears to be in good condition apart from some damage to the cooling fins.

  • Brook Crompton 2 hp at 1425 rpm three phase induction motor. Currently dismantled as I used it when giving a talk to schoolchildren about electric motors, but it can be reassembled. Probably has dodgy bearings.

  • Several multi-speed washing machine induction motors. Probably 0.75 -
1 hp at 2850 rpm on the high speed winding. Complete with capacitors but will require a little ingenuity to figure out how to wire them. Fitted with vee belt pulleys.

  • Several washing machine commutator motors. Probably about 1 hp at 6000

- 8000 rpm. Noisy, aggressive, open frame design. Poly vee pulley turned into shaft.

None of these motors are perfect. Most have some flaws such as flaking paint, surface rust or damaged cooling fins. But they're free. I can test them with a megger and provide photos if anyone is interested. They might be useful for building budget machine tools, tesla coil spark gaps, or whatever.

Post here or e-mail cdt22 AT cantabgold DOT net if you want more information.

Best wishes,

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy