electric motor query

What is the difference, in terms of performance, between a single and a double wound electric motor ? I presume that the double windings are in parallel and therefore half the resistance of a single wind (assuming that the same gauge of wire is used in both cases). That being the case the double wound motor will draw twice the current and, in theory, produce twice the torque. Is this correct ?

AW.

Reply to
Allen Wilkinson

Yes. My understanding is that they can get more wire into the armature by using two thinner bits than one thick bit. i.e. if the armature slot is not a complete number of wire diameters wide, space gets wasted. There is also some guff about better efficiency that sounds to me similar to HiFi blah about gold plated woven multistrand loudspeaker wires :)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Absolutely nothing. It is just easier to wind. multiple strands are easier to handle. i.e., 3 strands of AWG23, instead of one of AWG20

Reply to
mattheworme