First Electric

I have flown glows for about 4 years now mostly in the 40 size planes. The nearest field to my house is a 45 minute drive. My yard is fairly large (about 5 acres) so I was thinking about an electric of some type. What would be a decent choice for an electric that is small enough to fly indoors at a gym, but still able to be flown outside too? Something with at least 3 channels preferred. Everything that I have looked at so far, cost about $250 or so by the time I put a radio in it. What would be my best choice for my first electric on a budget, or am I asking too much?

Michael Lewis snipped-for-privacy@its.msstate.edu

Reply to
Michael L. Lewis

Michael,

ARF or built up kit? Scale or sport? What type of flying do you want to do - aerobatics or putting around? Low wing or high wing, one wing or two?

There is a huge range out there from wild 3D style aerobats to stately scale biplanes. We need to know what you are attracted to.

Reply to
mike tully

Here's one....maybe on the large side of what you're looking for.

Here's another.
Here's a page full of planes that might be better if you intend to fly in a gym.

Wiz

Reply to
Mike Wizynajtys

GWS tiger moth?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Get a Slow Stik!

Reply to
jeboba

Indoors?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Sorry for the long delay in getting back, my reader was messing with my head.

Maybe I should have been a little more specific in my type of flying. Built up kit is preferred, then I know how to make repairs when the damage does happen. Tried a foamie Hobbico AeroCruiser and was sorely disappointed. I am just your Sunday afternoon sport flyer.. Ultra Sport, Tower Kaos, and Modified to a flat wing PT40 are my favorites to fly. Low wing or high wing does not matter, but for simplicity I would think one wing unless there are advantages of having 2 wings I am not aware of. I am definitely not into scale. But I would like for it to be docile enough to teach my son how to fly with it. But budget is a major consideration as money is tight this Christmas.

Michael Lewis

Reply to
Michael L. Lewis

OK, I think I like would like to persue the Slow Stick. Go easy on me here as I am totally new to electrics. Some come with parts included and some don't. So, with that in mind, what else will I need to go with this plane to get it in the air and flying. Again I would like to stress budget. I already have a 6XA transmitter that could be used and I have extra standard servoes, but it doesn't say anything about the receiver. Will a standard receiver work?..or is it best to buy a new micro receiver? What makes this even more attractive, is I have all the radio equipment from the Hobbico AeroCruiser (2 servoes, receiver, esc don't know what size, and 600ma 5 cell NiMhd battery pack) if that equipment will work. The E-Flight says the power system is included, is that everything including the batterys, esc, etc? That is pretty much all I have readily avialable. What else, and best source will I need to get this thing up and running.

Michael Lewis

Reply to
Michael L. Lewis

The Slow Stick is the best trainer out there right now and will easily fly within your 5 acres. It will take aloft a wide range of radio equipment, but performance will suffer if you burden it with the full size receiver and servos. GWS sells flight packs with receiver, servos, speed control and battery for about $100. You just need to purchase the crystal for the channel your 6XA is on. I don't know about the Aerocruiser radio specifically. If you use it, then make sure the speed control can handle about 10 amps (not likely considering the little battery on the Aerocruiser). The 600ma 5 cell Nimh battery pack from the Aerocruiser won't be able to supply enough current to power the Slow Stick as it has a bigger motor. Most fliers are using 7-8 cell nimh packs of KAN650s or AAA cell 720s or larger. Six or seven NiCad cells of

500 and up will work too. Two Lithium Polymer cells of 1200 to 1500mah or larger work great. You can contact Perry at
or Dave at
for good advice and prices on your radio and battery needs.

If you and your son get bored with the Slow Stick, then you can get a nice aerobatic balsa kit from Bill at:

or Doug at

mike tully

nothing I wouldn't endorse completely, if an extra vote helps you decide.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

You really need a 7 or 8 cell battery with the Slow stick, and most park flyers for that matter. A 2S Lipo will also work, although not as peppy. Don't know about the ESC from the aerocruiser, but a GWS ESC for the Slow Stick should be between $20-$30. You'll be OK with a full size RX and servos, but that would be a good reason to go with an 8 cell pack.

PCPhill

" >

Reply to
PCPhill

The SStik was also recommended for me - a total air newbie - about a week ago. They are available on ebay (new) for cheap.

an example. Most of these ebay deals include everything but transmitter and rx crystal - perfect for you. BTW, check out that guys other auctions, he has additional 600mah batteries cheap too.

I plan on getting this setup myself very soon. GL with yours, mike

Reply to
MikeF

Thanks to all. I checked on ebay and won an auction for a Slow Stick for $96 plus shipping. New in box supposedly, so I think I did pretty well so far. Soon as I get it up in the air, I'll post my opinions of it.

Thanks Again. I think this will be much better than the AiroCruiser we already tried.

Michael Lewis

One more thing, this is my first experience with ebay, so I hope all goes well. Seller had 400+ positive reviews and only 1 bad. To sell that much and only tick off 1 person, amazing record in my opinion.

rx

Reply to
Michael L. Lewis

Avtially I have found that a good 2s lipo out performs a 7 cell pack.

to get 8 cell performace 3s is needed nd a smaller prop.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Pretty good for a $45 kit I'd say..

New in box supposedly, so I think I did pretty well so

rx

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Don't beat him up! He was bidding on kits with the GWS flight pack included so he did get a good deal. About $25 less than I could buy it at my LHS....

PCPhill

Reply to
PCPhill

I'd find a new LHS. $95.00 is about what I paid for my SS and GWS flight pack at mine, and "shipping" was about 5 cents worth of gas. ;-) Not to mention the ability to easily handle any issues that might come up.

Reply to
user

I wish I had a local hobby shop. The nearest one to me is over 2 hours away. So most all my orders come online. Give me the number to your local hobby shop and I'll gladly mail order from them next time.

Michael Lewis

Reply to
Michael L. Lewis

I'm surprised nobody recommended the Zagi! It's a FUN, inexpensive and durable...

Good flying, Bob Scott

Reply to
Bob

I'm sure there are a number of flyers out there who learned on a Zagi. I agree with Bob that they're tough, fun, and cheap. However, newbies should know that they're a go-where-you-point-it plane with none of the self-recovery characteristics of most trainers. Also, any flying wing can become hard to see and orient because there's no fuselage or tail. Another disadvantage is that just about all flying wings will tip stall if they get too slow. However, this advice is for someone buying his *first* airplane. I had several years glow experience, and I bought a Zagi as my first electric two years ago, and I'm still flying it. If you've flown a trainer, you can probably handle a Zagi.

Reply to
Morris Lee