Foam cutting hot wire

Thanks, but judging by other comments we really do need to issue constant warnings against stupidity and carelessness, as if stupid and/or careless people would even listen.

Maybe I appear selfish, foolish, or whatever, but I really think that when warnings become routine and mundane, nobody even hears them any more. I'm all for warning people about unexpected things, but smoking at a gas station? Haven't we all heard that one before?

Reply to
Robert Reynolds

I have been cutting wings for years using an auto battery charger and a bow with .012 control line flying wire. I have a video made by Good To Go Models on ebay right now that covers most of what you need to know to get started cutting foam wings. Bob Furr

Reply to
icerinkdad

The pros and cons of dynamic Dawrinism versus warning people of foolishess get gnawed upon everywhere. Much the same results too!

I don't mind it when someone looks over my shoulder and points out problems. Happens all the time at work. What gets my goat is when they do it continuously and/or in a pompous tone of voice that imples that I don't know what I'm doing. I also try hard to do my questions without that same tone of voice. My responses usually go through the same filtering.

Re the design at

tried doing this but couldn't get the circuit to work correctly. I checked with some friends who are electricians and revised the design to being basically a fuse then the light dimmer then the transformer.

What I wanted to be careful about and got warned about was the AC voltage is more than enough fry my coconuts, also the DC is enough to do the same job. Using the cutter has me making sure every time I use it that my workbench is clear and I have nothing around that can hang up or get shorted.

Our hobby involved items that are dangerous in their own (knives, power tools, glues, epoxies) or are dangerous indirectly (like hot wire cutter transformers). It's like a lot of other jobs -- you need to be continuously be warned that it dangerous and to remind yourself to challenge yourself to work in a safe manner.

I have annual sign-offs at work, bi-annual ones, plus others. Rather than simply signing off without looking at the material, I read, check myself and then sign.

Up here in Canada, our Safety Code has grown from 10 basic rules to a serious document. I understand that the AMA Safety Code has similarly grown.

How many of us have actually read our respective codes in the last year? Two years? Five years? Ever?

Since both organizations have a new membership year starting at the end of the week, why don't you take a half hour to pull it up on the respective web-site and give it a careful read?

Have a safe year out there!

Reply to
byrocat