157 inch sailplane

I did a search for sailplanes on E-Bay and I found a sailplane with a

157 inch wingspan. It is an ARF and a 5 channel. The seller is from Hong Kong but has a warehouse in the states. They sell a lot of sailplanes and other rc planes on E-Bay. Has anyone ever bought one of these and if so, what did you think of it, quality wise? How do they fly? I'm considering bidding on one. Thanks, Vegasfan
Reply to
Vegasfan

| I did a search for sailplanes on E-Bay and I found a sailplane with a | 157 inch wingspan. It is an ARF and a 5 channel. The seller is from Hong | Kong but has a warehouse in the states. They sell a lot of sailplanes | and other rc planes on E-Bay. | Has anyone ever bought one of these and if so, what did you think of | it, quality wise? How do they fly? I'm considering bidding on one.

It might work better if you started by being specific about which airplane ...

NIB 157" Wing Sailplane Painted W/Air Brake DISCUS 4M Semi Scale Glider

That one?

I can't comment on this specific one, but that's a big glider -- should be very nice to fly once it's all set up properly.

Gliders this big go for a lot of money, and unless this is crap and I just don't know it, I'll bet it does too.

You could google for RCSE and join that mailing list -- there's a lot of really knowledgable R/C soaring guys there, and somebody probably knows more about this specific plane.

Reply to
Doug McLaren

The plane SEEMS to be from this company.

Looking over the ebay pics vs. the pics on the company page, there seems to be a few discrepancies... It may be a cheap knockoff, or it may just be older than the one currently on their site. Either way.

Reply to
Scott Hildenbrand

There's been tons written about this ebay sailplane. Here's a couple o

links:

I have one but have'nt finish building it. Not the best quality, bu it is big

-- KA6IP

----------------------------------------------------------------------- KA6IPK's Profile:

this thread:

KA6IPK

I went to e-bay and took a look at the SELLER. I bought a 73" P-40 from this seller. The plane was cheap enough,but the quality of the ARF was H O R R E N D O U S!!!!!!!!!!!

The plane was not sent with any plans, directions or anything else. The set up on the wing hold down dowels was just stupid. A 1/4" aluminium dowel glued into a BALSA leading egde. When the dowel fell out, on the ground (yeah!) I had to cut the wing open to put in dowels that would be safe to fly with. Some parts were missing, some parts were extra (this seems to be normal for chinese ARF's). The wood kept pulling off of the fiberglas because they used brittle hot glue, etc.

I could go on as to what else I had to do to make the plane safe to fly, but I don't have the time!

I wrote the seller and was ignored and then I wrote another nasty e-mail and finally got a response, but no offer to replace the parts that were missing.

The ARF was from Will Hobby in Wiljang China (Wiijang may be spelled wrong).

For the price it is worth some extra aggravation. The plane looks really good in the air. Just be aware that you may need to rely on your experience to make the plane safe rather than the "quality" of the ARF!

Reply to
davis10