Remarkable!

I got an Overland brass C30-7 from a guy on ebay a couple of weeks ago, and it arrived with some of the handrail staunchions broken loose. The loco had been bubble-wrapped, and was in it's original box, but there was no surviving foam inside the box, and so the C30-7 had been free to slide back and forth a couple of inches each way during transit. This seems to be something that happens pretty regularly, and the guy had otherwise been perfectly honest, so I left him positive feedback and also dropped him a note advising him to watch out for packing delicate items that way in the future.

Resoldering loose handrails is no big deal, so I thought nothing more about it until this afternoon when an unexpected package arrived in my mailbox. Turns out that the guy had sent me a free -and unasked for- brass MP15-DC to make up for his oversight. I contacted him and told him that it was overkill, that I wasn't all that upset about the broken handrails, and that I wasn't sure how I could use the little switcher in any case, and he replied insisting that I keep the loco anyway to prove his good faith...

So should you be looking for something train-related on ebay, and happen to notice that the seller goes by the ebay nym of "fnmlover22", you may be assured that this guy is not just honest, but is almost painfully so.

Amazing!

~Pete

Reply to
Twibil

On 11/19/2009 6:58 PM Twibil spake thus:

Good story.

Now excuse me while I drool over just the *thought* of that Overland brass ...

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

I had a similar experience a few years back on eBay. I ordered what was advertised as a cd (data) from a guy in Great Britain. What I received was a DVD. At that time, my computer had no dvd drive. I informed the guy and suggested that he correct his ad so others would not have the same problem. A few days later, I received a dvd drive in the mail! Almost unbelievable!

Bill Bill's Railroad Empire

Reply to
Bill

It's an odd one, and I'll probably post a pic of it one of these days.

It's an old Overland C30-7 all right, but it's been nicely custom painted (possibly by Overland) in N de M (Ferrocarriles Nacionales de Mexico, I. E. National Railroads of Mexico) colors, and it was *built* as a dummy unit back when Overland was still producing their tank- drive locos that didn't run very well. ( I'd bought it assuming that it had simply been gutted, but close examination shows that it had never had a motor or a drive train installed at all.)

I hadn't known that Overland ever built dummy locos, and I can find no reference to same in the brass books, so it might have been a one-off number that was made strictly for someone's mantle or desk.

I've checked into the possibility of powering it, and discovered that trucks and power trains from the Atlas model of the same loco are still easily available on ebay, so that's probably the way to go.

~Pete

Reply to
Twibil

I had a similar experience a few years back on eBay. I ordered what was advertised as a cd (data) from a guy in Great Britain. What I received was a DVD. At that time, my computer had no dvd drive. I informed the guy and suggested that he correct his ad so others would not have the same problem. A few days later, I received a dvd drive in the mail! Almost unbelievable!

Bill Bill's Railroad Empire

I got sent a free school bus by these folk

because I had to wait a week or so while they got a replace for a broken item the found while packing. This seller
sent me a 'bonus' flyer that turned out more useful than the book I'd purchased. This outfit
has fairly high but consistent shipping, but I've made some bloody marvelous buys on their auctions!

e-bay is not what it's put down to be! :)

Reply to
LDosser

If I ever have a problem with an e-bay seller, it usually happened with shipping duration. Many sellers have used the Amazon business model and actually don't stock anything. So you pay and wait. Either they only go to the post office once a week, or their supplier takes longer to drop ship the item. Dealing with individuals who sell a few items, seems to be easier than those who use e-bay as their main business. I did have a problem recently with one seller who took 3 weeks to ship after payment. He used a recent train show first as an excuse and then his supplier messed up and did not ship on time. Basically he was screwing up and just would not except the blame. Nice thing about Pay Pal is that if you use your credit card, you can call Visa, MasterCard or Amex and ask them to reverse the charge if a seller plays games. You don't have to deal with Pay Pal. Mike M

Reply to
mike mueller

After having sold and bought over 50 locos and numerous cars, I've gad only one poroblem. The guy was basically a troublemaker from what other reviews of him that came up later. He got 3 locos from me in one box and one of them shifted init's box.

-- Bob May

Bob May

Shocking! How much did the lawsuit cost you in the end?

-- Ray

Reply to
Ray Haddad

Ah! The fruitcake season once more hits it's annual stride.

Twibil

I can always tell that the most wonderful posts here will zip smoothly over your head, mate. Why do you prove it so quickly?

-- Ray

Reply to
Ray Haddad

Ray Haddad wrote to Twibil:

"wonderful" as defined relative to Ray's wonderful posts: truly amazing, beyond belief, inspiring wonder that anyone could be so bizarre.

Reply to
a_a_a

On 11/20/2009 4:42 PM Twibil spake thus:

So tell us, Pete, are we to be treated to another entry from this rogue's gallery of 'net-aberrants every time you perceive the slightest deviation from propriety in anyone's postings here? Just wondering.

By the way, are you *sure* you're not one of these?

or perhaps one of these?
with perhaps a dash of this thrown in?
(stones/glass houses, dontcha know)

By the way, as much as I'm loath to give R. Haddad any leeway, his response to Bob May's usual rambling ruminations made perfect sense to me.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

#1: "Us"? Do you have a mouse in your pocket?

#2: "Propriety"? No. But I enjoy pointing it out when someone -you, for instance- acts antisocial and does so repeatedly.

Now, I can understand why you'd dislike that, because you'd like to be free to act any way you want without ever being called to account, but there are easy ways to avoid it if you don't like it. (Although why you'd think that someone would enjoy your attempts at playing English teacher but that they shouldn't reply in kind is indeed a puzzlement.)

Even the finest fruitcakes occasionally say something that makes a vauge sort of sense, but Ray is bonkers and we all know it.

Reply to
Twibil

On 11/20/2009 11:38 PM Twibil spake thus:

Goddamn, you really are full of yourself, aren't you?

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

I've bought a good bit of MRR equipment off Ebay. A couple of locos, including one that wasn't advertised on Ebay, but I got from an Ebay seller who had something else that I bid on and he mentioned having this one too. I have also gotten a number of out of production freight cars that I'd been looking for. One or two arrived with some minor damage...such as a cracked ladder rung or one loco had a bell that'd popped off..but nothing that a drop of superglue and a touch of the paint brush wouldn't make look good as new.

I've bought a lot of other gear off ebay too. Some for myself and some for others. I've gotten my wife a purse and perfume not to mention just last night ordered a GPS for christmas for her. I also bought a webkin for my son and a stuffed siamese cat for my Dad who's in a nursing home and can't have a real cat in there.

I decided to get back into music recording after nearly a 20 year hiatus, so I have bought quite a few pieces of music gear off Ebay. Mostly well-used and out of production older equipment. I've gotten one or two new items from vendors too.

I had a couple problems with some of the audio gear, but everything was resolved quickly. One item had a malfunctioning channel, and the seller not only refunded my purchase price (minus shipping) but also told me to keep the unit if I could use it in any way, or just toss it out if I couldn't. The auction price was so low it wasn't worth returning. Another unit had a display backlight that was burnt out. You could read it as long as you had plenty of light, but in dim light or dark you'd have to shine a flashlight on it. That seller gave me a partial refund. I had another unit arrived heavily damaged by FedEx and rendred useless. That seller had FedEx come back and pick it up and he issued a refund minus shipping once the claim was adjusted by FedEx. That seller also kept constant communication...many voice calls included.

I have one other piece of audio gear that I got a fairly good deal on, that has just started having problems...but it's well beyond the point of contacting the seller about it...and I'm not too sure it isn't just the power switch acting up. I might be able to open it up and either use contact cleaner, or rewire the power switch to just stay on all the time. I keep the unit in a rack on a power strip anyway.

But overall, I've had good experiences with Ebay, and I do recommend it to others. I've had a couple seller throw something extra in with the items I'd purchased. Two sellers even included a small refund on shipping charges, because the actual charges were less.

Reply to
bladeslinger