need help on wire cutting

I have forgotten what to ask for exactly thru google here, so I will try to do my best. I am building a model rocket with a very large nose cone (8"
round x 2 feet length) and need to scratch build a cuttong system to make it go from a cylinder of foam to a more aerodynamic shape. I am also broke but have plenty of "stuff". I was wondering if i could conver an old PC power supply for a source voltage, some pvc for the bow, but I aint sure what i could use for wire. sorta on a schedule and need to save every penny so ordering parts and waiting weeks for delivery (no CC) is out.
stainless steel wire? guitar wire? magnet wire? 12volts too much? need series resistor to limit current?
--
Tater
President of MARS Club

I'm using nichrome wire with mine. A 12v PC power supply will work fine, as long as it can supply more than 3 amps.
I also had an old 24v/2amp transformer kicking around, from a project that never got completed. It'll heat up a 28" length of nichrome wire sufficiently to cut foam. Steel wire will work as well... in fact, the bow I purchased (Yes, I bought rather than built...) came with some T370 steel wire as its' suggested type. But I found that it tended to snap after a couple of cuts, where the nichrome wire has lasted through four sets of fins. :-)
For a nosecone couldn't you use lathe or a drill press and sanding block?

it
but

make
power
Tater, I just built a nose cone for a PVC pipe rocket. I used nichrome wire, (22G?) attached to a pvc bow powered by a $3 yard sale train transformer. I built a box with plywood sides the shape of the nose cone and attached a Block of EPS (Expanded Poly Styrene) to some 1/4 inch plywood with glue so that I could attach it to the form then I cut out the shape and it worked very well. The 1/4 inch ply had a T- nut between it and the eps so that I have something to attach the shock cord. The eyebolt is a permanent thing now. I added fiberglass to the EPS then put several layers of epoxy mixed with fairing compound on top to get the desired shape and size. Like someone else said it really was like icing a cake. I have pictures of the entire process if you would like me to send them to you, I just don't have time to add them to a web page. The project was fun and I would love to do it again. I used a lot of epoxy though and it would have been cheaper to buy a plastic cone if there was one available for 103mm PVC pipe.
Layne Rossi Campbell River, BC, Canada CAR S767 L2

it
but

That's pretty cool!
The hot wire I got with my foam starter kit years ago was Nichrome.