level 2 certification - engine choices

I am working on my level 2 and woud like to know what engines are in stock, readily available? single use? motor mount sizes?

Reply to
tater schuld

Level 2 is a silly little club thing. The minute you shoose to become an amateur rocketeer, Level 1 is about a T motor.

Jerry

ieas.org?

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

jerry, we are loking at a long term project that needs a V sized motor, what you got?

silly lil club thing....geez, you'd think you post just to stay on top

Reply to
tater schuld

dude, I aint terminaly broke :) just trying to keep costs down to an absolute minimum. i was more concerned weather I can get 54mm engines or if i should Design for a bigger mount

Reply to
tater schuld

I did my Level2 with a 38mm J motor. You can build your rocket with whatever size mount you want, and adapt down to whatever you can get.

A Pro38 J360 will make a pretty decent Level2 motor (Sorry, J330 - the 62.5g US-Spec version...) And you get motor-ejection for primary or drogue deployment. :-)

Reply to
Len Lekx

We need it to fit a 65 inch MMT. Preferably Hybrid(hence the reason for level 2, so we can play with some halfway decent sized hybrids) but solid would work also.

Reply to
Zak Orion

If you ever get serious on such a project the answer will scare you.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Phil Stein

Reply to
Phil Stein

SHHHHH! Zak, yer tellin em too much! next they'll try to figgure out what we want with such a big bird....

Reply to
tater schuld

we figgured the gas for a hybrid in that size would be around $100,000 Jerry. yep, that number made us flinch, but didn't stop talk about the project, which scared me more.

Reply to
tater schuld

haven't thought about it, but was thinking about using the teakettle engines by Xcor for that. Figgure we'll have to plaster their name on the side of the rocket for sponsorship.

Of course, a V engine sized rocket has plenty of room for advertising.

Reply to
tater schuld

for that cost i can agree! we were thinking of using hybrids due to lower cost of base materials, although half of the talk seems to be though experiment, the other half fanatic enthusiasim, and one guy who thinks we are plain nuts.

As president of the club, i tend to encourage any and all rocket related topics, and do my best to keep the fanatics from killing themselves or others.

Right now we are trying to get a budgetary estimate done, figgure out what research needs to be done in what stages, and how many bake sales we would have to do for a tank of NOX.

I wonder where "amatuer" crosses the line into "professional"? or even "home built"

Reply to
tater schuld

I pop off S motors all the time that approximate that cost (per motor) and the other stuff we are testing now is considerably larger. Needless to say they will not be NAR certified any time soon :)

But for those custoers and payloads that require real performance the turnaround time for us is measured in months not years so that seems to attract some clients.

So far I have not seen "amateur" projects much above S motors.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

I did my L2 with an AT J350. If I had to do it again today, I'd go with a 5 or 6 grain Pro38 motor. It is the least complicated J motor made and allows you to worry about other things besides "did I remember all of the o-rings?" ;-)

Mark Simpson

Large cluster of A10-3Ts? Lots and lots and lots and lots of A10-3Ts.

Reply to
Anonymous

Because you are in WI I'll suggest Al's Hobby Shop.

Al's Hobby Shop has Pro38 and Pro54, AT J350, AT J275, AT K550 and AT K1100 reloads. If you do not have a LEUP then contract with someone who does to purchase the motor and store it for you. I don't know when other AT reloads will appear. Most of the people who fly at Bong will be willing to loan you a case if you need one.

Dean

Reply to
Dean Roth

Motors do not require LEUP. 27 CFR 55.141-a-8

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

1.1 million Ns. Above this motors are export controlled under the Wassenaar (sp?) agreement. I'd say that's pretty much the limit for amateur stuff.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Eilbeck

NFPA-1127/TRA/NAR define it as 40,000 n-s.

PRS/RRI/RRS define it as non-professional.

I believe ieas.org has not yet defined it.

FAA 200,000 lb-sec.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine