Great Planes Super Sportster EP

Has anyone else flown the Super Sportster EP. I flew mine for the first time last weekend and let me say, WOW! This is one great flying bird. I only have one concern. The ESC that came with the plane momentarily applies brakes to the prop when the throttle is pulled all the way back. This doesn't affect the handling of the plane but I'm afraid I'll strip the plastic gear in the gear box. Anyone know of a possible solution to this??

Thanks and have fun flying !!!

Reply to
wwkayaker1252

My guess is that it is the same controller that is used in the Great Planes Spectra ARF which has a folding prop. The brake is used to stop the prop so that it can fold along the fuseage sides thus reducing drag. You are right, the braking action puts a lot of load on the gearbox.

The Super Sportster EP is a heck of deal at $120. Comes with Motor, controller, and 2100 mah battery.

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Reply to
Double Ace

I'm still waiting on mine. Should be here any day. Can't wait to buil

it and get it airborne

-- Haze_

----------------------------------------------------------------------- Haze_b's Profile:

this thread:

Haze_b

Does anyone know if the ESC is 3 cell 11.1v LiPo capable

-- RCDuggiedu

Luv R

----------------------------------------------------------------------- RCDuggiedug's Profile:

this thread:

RCDuggiedug

What do you mean? Can handle 11.1 volts?

'RC Flight Simulator'

-- skirt

----------------------------------------------------------------------- skirtz's Profile:

this thread:

skirtz

Just wanted to know if the ESC that came with the Super Sportster E can handle 3 cell LiPo

-- RCDuggiedu

----------------------------------------------------------------------- RCDuggiedug's Profile:

this thread:

RCDuggiedug

By handle do you mean is the cut off voltage set so that it will not ruin a

3 cell LiPo? Are you asking about connectors? Most ESCs will let you plug in a LiPo but the will let it run down below a voltage level that won't ruin them. I do not know if you ESC you are asking about is settable or set for a 3 cell LiPo. mk

Reply to
MK

You could use it but you will have to keep track of the voltage yourself. It is not going to cut out at the proper voltage level for a 3 cell LiPo.

Here is a link to the info page. Note that this esc has been discontinued in favor of a 35 amp LiPo compatible esc.

Replacement esc that is LiPo compatible.

Reply to
Robert A. Plourde Jr.

| You could use it but you will have to keep track of the voltage yourself. | It is not going to cut out at the proper voltage level for a 3 cell LiPo. | | Here is a link to the info page. Note that this esc has been discontinued | in favor of a 35 amp LiPo compatible esc. | |

| | Replacement esc that is LiPo compatible. ...

Of course, by `LiPo compatible' you mean that either 1) the cutoff voltage is configurable, or 2) it's default is appropriate for whatever number of LiPo cells you're using.

Most ESCs that aren't adjustable cut off around 5-6 volts. For a two cell LiPo pack, they'll usually work as is. Yes, 5 volts works out to

2.5 volts per cell, which is too low, but if the battery is under load the voltage will drop a bit anyways.

In any event, you don't really _need_ an ESC that knows when to cut off. Instead, it should be quite obvious to you when the batteries are running out of juice -- the power will go way down first.

As long as you're paying attention and actually land the plane when you notice that the power is going down, you'll not have any problems. The only possible exception that I see is a motorized glider where you may fly it far out and a loss of power may not be very noticable.

Reply to
Doug McLaren