Super Kaos 180 C.G. - It Flies!!

The Super Kaos 180 flew today and came back in one piece ( actually, make that two pieces). The day was cloudy, windy (10-15 mph gusting to 20) and a bit on the cool side here in Ohio (60 deg.) Three flights were made. As requested, here is a short synopsis:

75" WS 1005 sq. in. area 11.0 lbs (aprox) ( this could easily be lighted by about 1 lbs) taildragger gear Saito 180 w/ 24 oz. tank, 17 x 8 APC , WildCat 20/20 fuel. Futaba 8UAF with 6 servos and 1000 mAh pack

1) First flight needed 3 clicks left aileron trim ( suspect lateral balance a bit off- will add about 1/2 oz. to left wing tip.) All other trims perfect.

2) The C.G. (dry) was set about 1/8" behind the root rib's spar center. This is about 3/8" forward of recommended C.G. Knife edge flight required about 75% rudder deflection to hold at full throttle. I will start sneaking the C.G. back toward the recommended point.

3) Takeoff required about 30 % power and took about 60-70 feet into the wind. All landings were made faster than need for safety, but no bad habits expected at slower speeds. I set the gear outboard by one rib bay from prototype. Ground handling was rock solid with no tendency for the plane to nose over, even at full power on takeoff.

4) Tracking and general handling very good, with unlimited vertical. The engine peaked at 9150 RPM, and I backed off to about 8800 to fly. Most flying was done at half throttle. Santo's go very rich in the mid range, so I only got about 9 minutes flying- this will probably go to 11 - 12 minutes after the engine is fully run in and I can lean everything out.

5) The plane flies just like the smaller Kaos planes, but smoother and with instant acceleration when you hit the power. I may try a 17 x 10 APC once I get the plane all trimmed out. I think it needs just a bit more top speed, and there is plenty of vertical to spare. The fuel tank is right behind the firewall at the moment. It will be easy to relocate over the CO.G. and add a Cline regulator.

Mark D. Fain

Reply to
Mark D. Fain