Tower Hobbies Kaos

I have just started this and think I want to make it a tail dragger. Anyone see any problems with this?

Reply to
Watchur6

I personally think they look neat as a trike but there is no real problem with it. Is this a kit version? I know the Bridi and Great Planes versions of the various kits (Killer, Super, Utter, etc.) show variations on the plans for either tail dragger or trike. I built the Tower Kaos kit some time back (loved that plane!) but dont remember if they showed that option or not. I think I would go whole hog and add retracts if I was ambitious. I plan to when I build one of my Killer Chaos kits one of these days.

Reply to
Fubar of The HillPeople

Reply to
strathboy

Yeah, the trike gear is pretty durable. I fly off of a dirt (read that as mostly rocks) field and other than the time I skipped it off of a 5lb rock, I never tweaked the gear. Unfortunately that is about all that survived a meeting with a tree on its final flight. Mine was powered with an Super Tigre G51 ringed engine. Real screamer!

Reply to
Fubar of The HillPeople

I built mine from the kit as a taildragger with no problems. If you have a kit, notice that the ribs the gear blocks fit in have die cuts for both trike and taildragger configurations. Just punch/cut out the front ones. The Kaos wing was also used on the now-defunct Ultra Sport (note the unused formers).

Morris

Reply to
Morris Lee

No problem as a tail dragger. The plane will fly just fine, maybe even better, as you don't have the weight of the 3rd wheel, wire and linkage.

Mike

Reply to
pda4you

I don't recall anyone saying it wouldn't fly well. The type of gear doesn't have any bearing on the way the plane flies but it sure makes a difference when taking off especially if one has no experience with tail draggers. Removing weight from the nose doesn't generally improve flying performance and could necessitate rebalancing. I say could because how much does a nose wheel weigh on a Kaos?

Reply to
strathboy

Actually - lighter aiplanes always fly better (with the noted exceptio

of sailplanes/slopers - another matter altogether). Yes it will impac CG something easily delt with. Weigh the nose gear wire, mounting screws, wheel and linkage - you might be surprised how much i weights.

Nose gear on pattern planes does affect the flight! Why do you thin the high end ships all use fixed conventional gear????? Easy - the are trying to meet strict weight targets (fixed gear is lighter tha retract) and surely ease of setup and reliability.

Non-retract nose gear can affect push or pull in Knife edge flight du to drag and the small rudder effect of the wheel.

Anyone flying a Kaos, will surely be fine with taking off conventional gear aircraft.

Mik

-- pda4yo

----------------------------------------------------------------------- pda4you's Profile:

this thread:

pda4you

There was a reply early on that said it wouldn't work right, which is not true. I built several Chaos/KAOS versions as taildraggers and they flew fine. It WOULD improve flying characteristics as it reduces off-axis drag quite a bit. I have heard from full scale designers that infaired wheels can add up to 20% of the total drag of an airframe.

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

Reply to
strathboy

Couldn't agree more Morris. For the newby, TD's can be more difficult on the ground if the tail wheel comes up before sufficient ground speed is attained to make the rudder effective. Always hold a bit of up elevatopr initially. Yes, the Kaos is an old pattern design. Do you remember the Mach

Reply to
strathboy

Off axis drag is is drag that is away from the centerline. UNfaired wheels have a lot of drag and it is away from the centerline of the plane. Contrary to a previous statement, most top end pattern planes are tail draggers with retracts and minimal wheels.

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

Actually retracts are not often used these days. If the model is a taildrager it usually doesn't have retracts. The planes don't fly as fast as they used to and the retracts offer little advantage but more weight, thus witout the weight the model can be larger (which greatly improves performance) and still be withen the 11 pound limit. Switching from a nose gear to tail gear to retracts will affect the trim, but once trimmed out will not have any noticeable effect on the handling. Use of retracts goes back to the 70's and 80's when speed impressed the judges, and the high reving two strokes needed speed to make it up their verticle lines.

Reply to
Sport Pilot

I don't really remember the Mach 1, but there has always been abundant literature and history on the Kaos. BTW, I'm about six years younger than you guessed. :-)

Morris

Reply to
Morris Lee