PRODUCT HAZARD ALERT

The MRC Super Brain 696 Pro advertises it is Lithium compatible.
"This powerful charger has an ability to deliver 4.5 amps per channel when
using DC input. Now you can charge two batteries of different voltages or types simultaneously, or charge one battery while discharging another. For pro users, the 969 Pro has a variety of settings for optimal charge.
AC/DC delta peak charger with patented MicroPeak Technology Charges NiCd, NiMH, Li & Pb batteries"
From MRC Super Brain 969 Pro AC/DC Delta Peak Charger with Dual Output and Discharge Function Instruction Manual.
Model Rectifier Corporation 80 Newfield Avenue Edison, NJ 08837-3817 732 225-6360 www.modelrectifier.com
B. CHARGING LITHIUM ION-POLYMER BATTERIES
Never leave batteries unattended when charging. Monitor the temperature of the battery occasionally during the charge cycle. If batteries become hot, disconnect immediately.
Because of the volatile nature of Lithium batteries, great care must be taken when charging these cells. If improperly or over charged, the is the risk that the battery will explode or catch fire. Please follow instructions and/or recommendations from battery manufacturer when selecting proper charge rate.
You should always select 5mV peak threshold for all Lithium Ion/Polymer batteries. You should also start with a fully discharged battery and do a "capacity" charge as stated above in step 8. However, do not enter a capacity higher than the rated capacity of the battery or damage may occur. If you do not begin with a fully discharged battery, then you will have to estimate the remaining capacity in the battery. We recommend that you use a charge rate at no higher than half (0.5 times) the rated capacity (example for 6OOmAH battery the charge rate = 0.5 x 600 or 0.30 amps). Also, be careful not to discharge the battery too low (3 volts per cell), or damage to the battery may occur. We recommend that you use a discharge rate no higher than 0.2 amps.
LITHIUM BATTERIES DO NOT HAVE A PEAK, IF THE CHARGE IS NOT TERMINATED THE VOLTAGE JUST KEEPS RISING UNTIL THE BATTERY SELF DESTRUCTS IN MANNER THAT COULD CAUSE A FIRE. IF THE USER DOES NOT CORRECTLY ESTIMATE THE AMOUNT OF CAPACITY REMAINING IN THE BATTERY AT THE BEGINNING OF CHARGE OR THE CAPACITY HAS DIMINISHED WITH USE, A SERIOUS AND HAZARDOUS SITUATION WILL EXIST.
-- Red S. Red's R/C Battery Clinic http://www.rcbatteryclinic.com
snipped-for-privacy@bellsouth.net says...

<Snip> I guess the concept of product liability hasn't been learned by MRC yet. Wont be long, now.
Perhaps a letter or two to MRC might give them a clue.
Everyone should read the article on product liability in the lastest (Nov)issue of RCM. Make you wonder how we all survived this long.
says...

Agreed. I immediately destroyed two Nimh rx packs with their crappy 959 superduperbrain. Not that i know squat about batteries, but i did follow the directions.
says...

One of the problems is that it defaults to 3 Amp charge when the power is disconnected and reconnected.
I'll be running some charge voltage profiles today and hopefully we can see what it is actually doing when set up properly. -- Red S. Red's R/C Battery Clinic http://www.rcbatteryclinic.com Check us out for "revolting" information.