Pull Pull Cable

Just went to Walmart looking for steel leader wire (fising) to make a pull pull system. They didn't have any. Is this stuff no longer made?

Phil

Reply to
Phil

It's definitely made, just not part of a mega-retailer's business plan. Try a fishing tackle store, or Cabela's online.

Reply to
Charles Wahl

On 7/6/2003 6:34 PM Ted shuffled out of his cave and grunted these great (and sometimes not so great) words of knowledge:

Most people are now using a "braided" line such as "Fireline". 0 stretch and easy to work with.

Just my $0.02 worth

Reply to
Ted Campanelli

Reply to
John

Reply to
Phil

I've been using coated stainless steel line from the fishing shop. A couple of people told me that stainless steel "work hardens", but so far I've had no problems at all. I figure the tiny amount of movement involved isn't enough to cause any worries in this sort of application. I can't remember the strength of the stuff I got (I've thrown the packet away long ago), but it only just fits through the holes in the dubro threaded couplers etc. This in on my 1.20 sized World Models Ultimate and on my .91 sized World Models Super Sports Senior.

MrBonk

MrBonk

WalMart doesn't carry it, but the local Kmart always has it.

John VB

Reply to
jjvb

MrBonk

Have you noticed if your local tackle shops have of any kind of kevlar or nylon fishing trace available similar to the pull-pull cable The World Models Mfg. supply in their ARFs? eg: per Super Stunts 40 and Zen 30.

Iguana Bwana

Reply to
Iguana Bwana

Iguana, Nope.....only stuff they have is the coated stainless stuff. I originally asked about the kevlar, as someone told me it's the stuff to have if I could get it.

MrBonk

MrBonk

Reply to
patrick mitchel

Ta. Thought I'd utilise your experience before reconnoitering the situ myself. Although I recognise that fish teeth are sharp probably demanding a steel trace, I'm not a fisherman so unfamiliar with what's available from tackle shops as yet. I'll have a look around some of the larger ones here in Brisbane on the off chance that they might have a wider range of stock than up there. Will let you know if I find anything suitable.

PS: I did note one of the members with a Zen30 had substituted his supplied pull-pull with the same plastic coated steel fishing trace from a tackle shop you mention, so that might well be all that they carry.

Iguana Bwana

Reply to
Iguana Bwana

McMaster-Carr

has kevlar thread in 28, 90 and

130 pound tensile strength. Just be sure you isolate the thread from any rubbing against airframe, since it's susceptible to fraying wear.
Reply to
Charles Wahl

Thanks for the thought Charles. Though they do ship internationally it's a bit out of the way, but I'll bear the source in mind. :)

cheers

Iguana Bwana

Reply to
Iguana Bwana

Actually, fewer than that. The last bird I rigged took closer to 8 yards of the stuff.

But I plan to give some away, waste some, and I usually only do 5 or 6 new planes a year, so in any event it should last me till I'm somewhere around 100 or so ;-)

bob

Reply to
Bob Cowell

I've got a World Models Ultimate Bipe (the 120 sized one) which originally came with a split pushrod arrangement for the elevator halves. I was most unimpressed with it's performance (or lack thereof......). One of the halves was able to be deflected more than the other at full throw (due to flex in the split ends of the pushrod), resulting in less than desireable behaviour. The mate who told me about the tackle shop had a full pull-pull setup on one of the models he had at the field one day, so I checked it out and decided to give it a whirl. It resulted in a much 'tighter' system, with equal movement of both halves and no 'flex deflection' like I was getting with the split pushrod. I immediately replaced the rudder with pull-pull setup, which got rid of an annoying 'tail wag' at high speed. I'm assuming the standard hardware supplied with the plane just wasn't 'tight' enough and allowed the rudder to flutter at neutral. It was enough to convince me that it was a good thing :-)

What do you fly full-size? If you're passing by overhead, dropping in here would be a good excuse to have a break for a spot of lunch and a quick trip to the field :-)

MrBonk

MrBonk