Rally of the Giants

Did anyone else pick up on this? There is an article in the March issue of RCM on the Rally of the Giants by Cal Orr. It starts on page 60. There is a group of guys standing under a "Rally of Giants" banner. On the next page, the first photo (Upper left) is John Lockwood's ¼ scale B-25. Beautiful plane, but since it weighs 125lbs, it could not fly at this event. On the next page is a photo of Frank Scott's Constellation. That plane weighs

65lbs, so it wasn't allowed to fly either. I sure would like to drive to an event like this in hopes of seeing those big planes taxi around the field.

Seems to me that the name should be changed to "Rally of the Sorta Giants" In Europe, they don't have any restrictions on how big a big plane can be. In the USA, you can build big planes, just don't build them too big! I don't know if it's ironic, moronic or just absurd.

Reply to
Me

"Me" skrev i melding news: snipped-for-privacy@yvn.com...

Not quite correct. Most european countries do have limits on model weights (not size).

25 kilos or approx 55 lbs.

Some countries have that weight as an absolute maximum, other countries like France allows models of "unlimited" weight, but you do have to have the model approved by the CAA/FAA if over 25 kilos.

Kjell Aanvik Oslo, Norway

Reply to
Kjell Aanvik

They at least have that option.

We don't. At least, not under current AMA "leadership".

If you fly under UMA insurance you can get a waiver for models over

100 pounds.

There is no provision for getting FAA approval of a model, not the sort we fly.

You can get 'approval' for UAVs and go play in the 1:1 world of flight plans, restricted air space, and all that baggage.

Cheers, Fred McClellan The House Of Balsa Dust

Fred McClellan

President Bush is all 3 :)

Reply to
Boris

I was under the impression that with the proper effort one could get an Experimental waiver on craft weighing up to 100 pounds.

Reply to
Six_O'Clock_High

I wonder if Kerry will have Jane Fonda run for his VP. Then we could have Hanoi Kerry, and Hanoi Jane.

Reply to
Bill

Jane Fonda should die, dripping puss and screaming in pain. What a _very_ poor choice for president we are going to have to vote for. Kerry or Bush - both suck big time.

Reply to
Boris

Kerry earned his medals and is by no stretch of the imagination a traitor like Henry's foul bitch offspring.

Cheers, Fred McClellan The House Of Balsa Dust

Fred McClellan

Not for jet-powered models.

Cheers, Fred McClellan The House Of Balsa Dust

Fred McClellan

Read what a genuine POW from Vietnam has to say about Kerry.

Subject: [Swift Talk] POW Joe Crecca on John Kerry Date: Thu, 05 Feb 2004 18:43:55 -0800

by Joe Crecca

29 Jan 04

The rigors and hardships of being a POW aside, I remember the so called "Peace Movement" and "Peace Marches" and "Rallies" that were taking place back home in the U.S.A. Our captors were more than willing, within their means, to provide us with any and all anti-U.S. and anti-Vietnam War propaganda. Without a choice in the matter, we listened to the "Voice of Vietnam" broadcasts by "Hanoi Hannah" and were shown newspaper and magazine photos and articles about those opposing the war back in the States. One of the peace marchers' standard slogans was to, "Bring our boys home now and, alive." The warped thinking of such people was that by demonstrating against U.S. involvement in Vietnam, they'd be shortening the war and reducing the number of American casualties. These demonstrators would also try to make one believe that their efforts would bring POWs like me home sooner. They were utterly wrong on both counts not to mention the detrimental effect their actions had on the morale of our troops and our POWs.

John F. Kerry was not just one of these demonstrators. He was leading them.

Therefore, these so-called demonstrations for peace had the exact opposite effect of what they were purporting to accomplish. Instead of shortening the war, the so-called "Peace Movement" served only to protract the conflict resulting in a vastly greater number of Americans killed and wounded, greater economic burdens and longer periods of incarceration for Americans held captive in Vietnam. The war would have been over much sooner and with a much more favorable result if those in the so-called "Peace Movement" would have instead rallied behind the Commander-in-Chief to accomplish our mission and then, withdraw.

It is inescapable to think of the so-called peace movement and the anti-war demonstrators without also thinking how many fewer names there would now be

engraved into the black granite of the Vietnam Wall if these same people had supported our efforts instead of trying to derail them. After all, fighting against a political regime that up to that time had murdered over a hundred million people couldn't have been all bad. But, John F. Kerry thought and acted differently. How many more names on the wall can he take credit for? After the war ended, some of the war protesters hung on to their anti-war postures for a while. Some of them realized the errors of their ways almost immediately while for others it took twenty to twenty-five years.

But some, like John F. Kerry, have not realized there was anything wrong with what he did. Instead, he hopes we will see him as a courageous Vietnam veteran. I do not. He hopes we will admire his bravery. I do not. I remember him more for his misdeeds upon his return from Vietnam. However, in the present political arena, he evidently has succeeded in

gaining the support of some well-meaning but misled Americans. Given his past record, it is just astonishing that he has garnered any support from our nation's veterans.

I hope all will reconsider their support for Senator Kerry in light of his actions which were so detrimental to our Vietnam combat soldiers, sailors and airmen - many of whom are not here today to tell you themselves. Thank you for considering my views. Please share what I have written with your fellow vets....

Joe Crecca snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net Vietnam POW

22 NOV 66 - 18 FEB 73
Reply to
Bill

Reply to
Mike Gordon

He doesn't like Kerry.

So what ? A lot of people don't like Kerry.

Still doesn't justify categorizing someone who did his time in 'Nam, LIKE ME, in the same pile of traitors with janefonda.

The bitch was a traitor, is a traitor, and will die a traitor no matter how many times she "finds God" or how many Stupid Teds she marries.

Kerry came home and actually had the balls to try to do _something_ to stop the war.

Personally, when I was in country, I was hoping a lot more folks back in the 'land of the free' had the balls to tell the damn government to get outta 'Nam, LIKE KERRY DID.

Moreover, he _at least_ had the conviction to _do_ something besides aid and comfort the enemy, like janefonda.

You lumped Kerry in with the janefondas and ramseyclarks and other

Reply to
Fred McClellan

Reply to
Six_O'Clock_High

Except that Kerry then turned on his comrades and joined the bitch in her anti war campaign.

Reply to
C.O.Jones

Fred That was written by a POW, not me. Unfortunately, when you lie down with skunks, you will eventually start to stink.

Reply to
Bill