Re: Ace Whizard Construction Help Needed...

> Putninja1, > Did you ever get the ACE Whizard finished? > I just got an old kit with no wings or plans. > I will have to dig out my old RCM mag. for Jan. 1974, supposed to be in > there. > The plans in there should help. Will try to duplicate a set of wings > from my ACE ME109. should be about the same. I have seen other people > adding a center section to the wing, may try that also. > > Any other Whizard flyers out there? > Regards, > Paul

Hey Paul,

The Whizard came with a wing center section. It has a spar slot for a piece of 1/8 X 1/8 spruce. You glue that in, then wrap the joint with some kind of light fabric and glue. I think that it was originally tissue and white glue. When you find your article, run the plans through an enlarging copier and trace the airfoil. You can then cut a wing from foam or build one from balsa. If it was me, I might try the balsa because I like balsa better. If I remember correctly, the wingspan is 42 inches. By the way, the ME 109 has tapered wings, but the Whizard has constant chord wings. I would be happy to send you a set, but I don't have any. All I have is a couple of thousand tapered ones. The Whizard would fly great with tapered wings, but I would still recommend adding a center section, because if you reduce the area too much it won't fly like a Whizard any more.

Does anybody know if Ace foam wings are once again commercially available?

Robbie

Reply to
Robbie and Laura Reynolds